You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer windows - Retail or Beta?

Hi

Short after the launch of AD's retail for windows (1.5) ive come to a hiatus working with graphics that made me out of the loop regarding Designers latest developments. I was following every update closely until then and i recall having some bugs and issues with 1.5 - and firing it up again today i found it strange not being prompted for any update. Coming here just now ive found out the updates are still coming but for beta only wich is 1.6 something at this time - but now theres too many updates since 1.5 for me to peruse it all as well as most recent bugs so im coming here for some help deciding wich version to use.

I know only retail is recommended for production but if im not mistaken bugs with symbols and text on 1.5 were really getting in my way and since symbols came up its my most beloved and used feature on Designer so im more then willing on dealing with any other odd bug for a better experience with that.

1- Was any feature added since 1.5?

Besides bug fixing any new features im ignorant of? I was really looking up for some planed and missing features.

2- Does beta have better symbols?

3- Which is the most stable/safe beta version?
I mean, i recall some beta updates bringing up issues that weren't there prior and one or two builds being particularly more troublesome (prior to 1.5).

Most probably the latest beta is the best one, just asking if this particular build is in someway more unstable or toublesome then the previous one- in case i decide to go with beta.

4- By any chance its possible to have two builds installed?

Of course being well aware that saved files within each may work differently, i could see myself saving and finishing up final work on retail while doing busy work on beta without overlaping saves using things like exporting and importing.

Any help?

• Staff

Hi vincer,

Below are answers to your questions.

1- Was any feature added since 1.5? Besides bug fixing any new features im ignorant of?

Apart from bug fixes no the new features were introduced since the 1.5 update as announced here, the new features will be in the 1.6 build

2- Does beta have better symbols?

Same as retail version but with several bug fixes

3- Which is the most stable/safe beta version?
I mean, i recall some beta updates bringing up issues that weren't there prior and one or two builds being particularly more troublesome (prior to 1.5).

Most probably the latest beta is the best one, just asking if this particular build is in someway more unstable or toublesome then the previous one- in case i decide to go with beta.

The current most stable beta version is the 1.6 Beta 10 on Mac and 1.6.0.82 on Windows

4- By any chance its possible to have two builds installed?
Of course being well aware that saved files within each may work differently, i could see myself saving and finishing up final work on retail while doing busy work on beta without overlaping saves using things like exporting and importing.

You can run the beta version along side of the retail version, In addition it is definitely worth noting that files created in Affinity 1.6 may not open in 1.5 so always make a copy of your important documents before opening them in 1.6 to ensure you do not accidentally overwrite them and are unable to open them in your 1.5 version.