You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Image + Vector Shapes +Subtraction function

Hello,

I'm trying to use a shape vector(red triangle) into an image(pizza) to subtract a part from it. As you can see in the screenshot below, I'm trying to slice a pizza using a triangle shape. Then, my question: How to do it? How can I become my image, in the Affinity Designer, into a vector shape to make the subtraction? 

Objective: Make a pizza missing 1 slice of pizza: [Can you help me, please? I'd really appreciate that!]

pizza_and_triangle.thumb.png.0ec1dd44b7bd74aeee0dce1be3aa69a1.png

Thank you so much in advance!

Best regards,

Alexandre.

• Staff

Hi Alexandre and Welcome to the Forums,

If you convert your image to curves, you'll then be able to use the subtract option and remove a slice of pizza.  To convert the image to curves, make sure it's selected and then click Layer>Convert To Curves.  I'm sure if there is another way to do this, someone else will post shortly :) 

5 hours ago, stokerg said:

If you convert your image to curves, you'll then be able to use the subtract option and remove a slice of pizza.  To convert the image to curves, make sure it's selected and then click Layer>Convert To Curves.  I'm sure if there is another way to do this, someone else will post shortly :) 

5 hours ago, stokerg said:

I(Alexandre) added this: Thank you so much Stokerg!

It worked, see the the result below. Now, I would like to question, how to get rid of the left "legs" left by a crop. Do you know something about it, please?

It_worked_the_result.thumb.png.bbe46644f96e9756229d006c29d8180b.png

2 hours ago, reglico said:

If you use "Divide" instead of "Subtract", you can then delete the slice and the "legs".

Hello reglico,

Thank you for answer my question!

I tested what you suggested, and the left "legs" keeping showing up. Despite that, it didn't harmed my work! I've finished what I was doing successfully.

I want to thank of you that answered my questions! Thank you so much guys!

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Alexandre.

12 minutes ago, reglico said:

Hello Alexandre,

After making "Divide", deselect all and then select the parts to be deleted and delete them.

cordially

Hello Reglico,

I just did what you told me. It really works. And it is a way to solve the problem.

I think the problem is with the cropping function, because the left "legs" only show up after I make a cropping. Affinity Designer must be ajusted/fixed in the cropping function. If I remember well, Photoshop do that perfectly, but I'm using Affinity Designer as a replace to the Adobe Photoshop for Web Design. I even uninstalled the Photoshop from my computer, so I hope the Affinity Design be better and even better.

Thank you for helping me!

Best regards,

Alexandre.

4 hours ago, Alexandre Cunha said:

I think the problem is with the cropping function, because the left "legs" only show up after I make a cropping. Affinity Designer must be ajusted/fixed in the cropping function.

By design, the Affinity Designer Vector Crop Tool is non-destructive. (In effect, it just creates a rectangular vector mask, as you can see from its thumbnail in the Layers panel.) This means it can be adjusted at any time -- nothing is destructively removed from the file when you use it. The Vector Crop Tool help topic (in the Workspace > Tools > Design Tools section) explains the kinds of adjustments that can be made using this tool.

So the "legs"outline shows up because the pizza layer is a masked vector shape & the "slice" has not really been removed from it, just hidden by a mask that extends beyond its left extent. The outline includes the extent of both the mask & the pizza curve.

Because the original pizza image layer can be converted to a bitmap-filled vector curve, there is another way to "slice" it that does not involve cropping or masks. As you might expect, as with any other vector shape the Node Tool can be used to change its shape. So for example, after conversion to a curve just select it with the Node Tool, add some nodes, & move one or more to create the slice(s), sort of like this silly example:

59c19fcf7b334_whoslicesapizzathisway.png.16df6235c4130ff98501c0b6b777042b.png

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, toltec said:

Wouldn't it be easier to just set the Layer Blend mode of the triangle to "Erase" ?

eraser.png.6e28b3d4f30a7dd9453ffd257dc24202.png

Non -destructive too.

Hello toltec,

Simple and effective indeed, thank you!

17 hours ago, R C-R said:

By design, the Affinity Designer Vector Crop Tool is non-destructive. (In effect, it just creates a rectangular vector mask, as you can see from its thumbnail in the Layers panel.) This means it can be adjusted at any time -- nothing is destructively removed from the file when you use it. The Vector Crop Tool help topic (in the Workspace > Tools > Design Tools section) explains the kinds of adjustments that can be made using this tool.

So the "legs"outline shows up because the pizza layer is a masked vector shape & the "slice" has not really been removed from it, just hidden by a mask that extends beyond its left extent. The outline includes the extent of both the mask & the pizza curve.

Because the original pizza image layer can be converted to a bitmap-filled vector curve, there is another way to "slice" it that does not involve cropping or masks. As you might expect, as with any other vector shape the Node Tool can be used to change its shape. So for example, after conversion to a curve just select it with the Node Tool, add some nodes, & move one or more to create the slice(s), sort of like this silly example:

59c19fcf7b334_whoslicesapizzathisway.png.16df6235c4130ff98501c0b6b777042b.png

Hello R C-R,

I just tested what you inctructed me to do. I find this a great way to solve the issue. 

Thank you so much for your answer!

Best regards,

Alexandre.

6 hours ago, reglico said:

Hello toltec,

Simple and effective indeed, thank you!

Hello Reglico and Toltec,

I'm sorry guys but I don't understand how to get to Layer Blend Mode. I searched in the menu and using right click on mouse too, and I didn't find it. Could you, please, explain a little more, how to get there? Just to remember, I'm using Affinity Designer, if it is a resource from Affinity Photo, let me know please.

Thank you so much in advance!

Best regards,

Alexandre.

6 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Alexandre,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
In the Layers panel, click the dropdown on the right of the opacity field on top - it usually says Normal - and select the blend mode you want - in this case Erase (it's on the bottom of the list).

Hello MEB,

Thank you so much! In Affinity Forum the people really help each other it is so nice!

I just tested what you explained to me. It really works pretty much simpler. 

And I'm so sorry Reglico and Toltec, I didn't notice the change in the "normal" becoming "Erase". Oh my God, shame on me! 

Thank you so much guys!

Have a nice day!

Best regards,

Alexandre.

• 1 year later...
On 9/19/2017 at 9:53 AM, stokerg said:

Hello everyone,

Until the 1.7 update (Mac) I could do this (substract a shape from an image by transforming it to curves)(and I've been using it fiercely these days). Now I can't (the default result image is in plain color, even though the fill thumbnail is my image). By looking in the Fill tool, the bitmap fill is there, but it is completely off-centered, hence the plain color.

Workaround, as already suggested in this thread: group the 2 shapes, set blend to Erase. But this is much slower (and no-go because I do this operation a hundred of times in a day), since there is no keyboard shortcut to modify the blend mode.

Why doesn't the bitmap-filled shape substract operation work anymore? Am doing something wrong? So many users are rolling back from 1.7...

Thanks in advance for your replies!

bitmap-filled-shape-substract.png