specworkfan

Brush Size Resets to Default When Changed

The brush size resets to a huge size each time you change it, as opposed to maintaining its pixel size. It's hard to shrink the brush size since there is no keyboard shortcut, and the circle for changing the size is wonky. It doesn't behave like a slider.

Hey specworkfan,

Edit - Ah I think I know what you mean. For example, if you were switching between two different brushes, you have to manually resize the brush each time you switch back to it? The workaround for this is to create your own brushes category and save the brushes at the size you need to use consistently.

I'm not sure what you mean by saying it is wonky. Sorry if I seem like I'm being obtuse, we just want to make sure all feedback is looked at properly. 

Hi specworkfan

I shall take it you are referring to when you change the brush tip style? Each brush tip is saved with it's own default size so selecting a new tip uses that size. This sounds like what you might be experiencing. The radial sliders should behave quite linearly, drag right to increase and drag left to decrease

Cheers

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Edit - Ah I think I know what you mean. For example, if you were switching between two different brushes, you have to manually resize the brush each time you switch back to it? The workaround for this is to create your own brushes category and save the brushes at the size you need to use consistently.

Not a workaround unfortunately. The brush size depends on the specific element you are working on at the time. If I am working at 7px on one brush for example, even if my default was saved as 12px, I still have to change it, it's just less than the default of 64px. 

I shall take it you are referring to when you change the brush tip style? Each brush tip is saved with it's own default size so selecting a new tip uses that size. This sounds like what you might be experiencing.

I don't remember this in desktop version from when I beta tested it before, but it's been two years plus. Did the behavior change at some point?

When you switch brushes in the same class you almost never need any default size. You are adjusting constantly the size, especially if you have custom presets. When you switch brushes you expect it to be the same size tip. Perhaps there could be a size flag to force a default tip size, but this should not be a default behavior. I'm sure there are a few people who have edge use cases for wanting fixed tip sizes, but not anyone who paints digitally. There could be an exception for specific things, like for smudging. e.g. You might want to simulate a finger size that is constant. You also might want a block eraser. 

Painting digitally is a process unique from real life. I don't think it is correct at all to think of tools the exact way as they work in the physical world. Just think, if given the following options painting canvas, which do you choose?

A) 10 different brushes with 100 different sizes for each model.

B) 10 brushes that magically each resize into the size you need by tapping a finger?

At worst there should be a shortcut to keep tip size when switching. I could live with that too.

The radial sliders should behave quite linearly, drag right to increase and drag left to decrease.

I work at this 10 hours+ a day all day, every day. I quickly notice the things that waste time and are suboptimal. It's a wonky UI which sacrifices utility for looks. It does look slick, and it's possible to adjust workflow, but precision is impossible. You are just hating life messing with it. It's a very important thing. I need to use keyboard anyway even if you made a perfect slider.  :-)

Affinity Forum

I do so agree about needing a user's changes to Brush Settings to be retained after a Brush is put down, while another is used, and still there ready to be used unchanged when picked up again.

And not just the size, but any of the variables: if I tweak the wetness, spacing of Brush A, make some marks, paint a bit with another brush and pick up (select) brush A again, I want it to be as it was when I put it down - not as a fresh one straight from its box, needing to have all the (maybe intricate) tweaks made again, time after time.
And the idea of creating a duplicate of each and every sometimes slight, temporary, variation is simply unworkable.

For me, quite frankly this comes close to being a total deal-breaker. Although geared largely to pure photo editing of course, Photo does offer a whole range of brushes, and the frequent use and interchange of them - and not just for painting - is integral to my work - and am sure to others as well.

A Button to optionally Reset would easily allow for User modifications to be kept and Default settings restored only as needed.

The curious thing is the Desktop Photo does have a Reset button on its Brush Settings dialogue. But that Reset is not to a given Brush's Defaults... it is a reset to the values that are there in the Settings Dialogue from when last closed, if any are altered. As such it’s more an Undo than a Reset.
So, on the Desktop... let's say: Brush Default has Spacing as 2; I change it to 8, close the dialogue, use it; re-open the dialogue set spacing to 12; change my mind, needing it after all back to its original settings, I press Reset and... it does not go to original Brush Default of 2, but to the latest value set, of 8. Useful, but not if user wants to clear all of a Brush’s changed settings back to base.

The Desktop version has only one way to restore a Brush to its Default Settings and that's to go to Preferences>Misc>Reset Brushes - where all are reset.

So Desktop and iPad versions each treat Brush settings differently. In my view both unsatisfactorily.

I doubt it’s a bug as such so I’m maybe wrong to post here. If there were a Suggestions (Pleas!) section to this Forum, I’d go there to ask: Please simply keep user's settings in place until user selects a Reset to Default button. (Ideally… also with the useful Desktop idea of Undo, i.e  an additional option to Revert to Last)!

True apologies for the length of this. It’s largely because I do feel strongly what looks a really great App is I think sadly let down on this.                                                                                                                                                                  

+1 this is a very serious issue for painting in Photo!

For example when I'm painting grass, I use several grass brushes where I set the size/flow/hardness for each one depending on the image I'm working in. Then I switch from one grass brush to another in order to create some randomness. But as soon as I return to a previous brush, its settings resets to its default value which means I have to tweak it each time I use it.

Please add an option to remember brush settings.

Although geared largely to pure photo editing of course, Photo does offer a whole range of brushes

For iOS I assume the vast majority are not using it for photo editing. Lightroom, Photoshop express and default iOS features sort out most people. With RAW support it's going to be more photographers loving Affinity, but even then, very few photographers are getting nitty with multiple brushes and if they are, then they are agreeing with me. ;)