You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

iPad Pro 12.9" 2015 vs 2017 for Affinity Photo

I currently own the iPad Pro 12.9" 2015 model and am using it mainly for artworks with Affinity.

Unlimited layers is what brought me to Affinity (from Pixelmator), and i'm using and abusing it without problems (yet).

Specs-wise, I haven't seen any big difference between the 2015 and 2017 models, just the usual XX% faster and the 120Hz frame rate.

The Frame rate bump isn't worth upgrading since i'm not drawing with the Pencil.

I'm still not using processor intensive tasks so much, but might go deep soon.
The few times i've tried the Inpainting Brush or the Develop Persona (on the beta app), it took a while or even froze, but i think this was a beta issue.

Has somebody tried Affinity on both iPad 12.9" models and noticed any noticeable difference?

No short-term plans to discontinue support for the iPad 12.9" 2015 model from Affinity, right?

• Staff

Hi iuri,
I don't have the 2017 version of the iPad Pro (only 2015), but i don't think it's worth upgrading just for the speed increase at this point. The adaptive refresh rate does help with smoothness/clarity/legibility when moving stuff around (being in on a browser/game/app whatever) and in particular when using the Apple Pencil for drawing but if you don't use it i don't think it's worth spending money on it. There's no plans to discontinue support for the first generation of the iPad Pro.