You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

While doing a Google search I came across this rather disturbing article from 2015
http://loewald.com/…/affinity-photo-no-good-for-photography/
If that article is correct,then it points to a serious deficiency in Affinity. Yes, there was a later article published that went some way toward mitigating the problem, but only for Mac users
http://loewald.com/blog/2016/09/affinity-photo-redeemed/

Does anyone know anything about this?

Has anything changed in recent times?

Affinity Photo's 'native' RAW developer does not by default do any noise reduction; along with tonal curve & exposure bias these adjustments can be enabled or not in the Develop Assistant (the same assistant mentioned in the second blog post). Apple's Core Image RAW developer does these adjustments automatically (& does not tell the user that it has or offer any way to avoid them).

If the blogger had done a bit more research he might have figured this out but apparently research is not his strongest suit. When doing searches like these, the wisdom of this "meme" might be worth considering:

59bd4171f392d_socialmediataughtme.jpg.335669b6c10007e1df5bfeb8e715b248.jpg

xD

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

Affinity Photo's 'native' RAW developer does not by default do any noise reduction; along with tonal curve & exposure bias these adjustments can be enabled or not in the Develop Assistant (the same assistant mentioned in the second blog post). Apple's Core Image RAW developer does these adjustments automatically (& does not tell the user that it has or offer any way to avoid them).

If the blogger had done a bit more research he might have figured this out but apparently research is not his strongest suit. When doing searches like these, the wisdom of this "meme" might be worth considering:

59bd4171f392d_socialmediataughtme.jpg.335669b6c10007e1df5bfeb8e715b248.jpg

xD

My peace of mind is restored, as I was sure it would be! Thankyou.

27 minutes ago, GrahamMYC said:

My peace of mind is restored, as I was sure it would be!

Not that I want to disturb your peace of mind, but more than a few forum users still think that Affinity's RAW developer is inferior to Phase One's, & do not like that it can take considerable time for AP to open a RAW file. The latter is because Affinity does not display the thumbnail image included in RAW files, so users always see the initial RAW processing (which is nice) but that takes so much time that it is not very practical for browsing through undeveloped RAW files.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

"Third, when you Cancel a RAW conversion (which is what you have to do if you get into the situation above) the dialog box offers “Yes” and “No” options instead of useful verbs, such as “Abandon” and “Continue”"

can't argue with that one though :D 

I too have heard these mutterings, especially from dyed-in-the-wool photoshop users that I regularly meet at my camera Club. That is why I started the discussion so I could judge the validity or otherwise of the comments. So your comments are really appreciated by an enthusiastic amateur

7 hours ago, MBd said:

"Third, when you Cancel a RAW conversion (which is what you have to do if you get into the situation above) the dialog box offers “Yes” and “No” options instead of useful verbs, such as “Abandon” and “Continue”"

can't argue with that one though :D 

I can. The dialog box says "Are you sure you want to cancel this RAW develop?" Assuming one is literate & capable of understanding all the words in that question, "Yes" (the default)  & "No" are by far the most clear & unambiguous answers to choose from. "Abandon" would be a horrible, totally ambiguous one!

He also said, "First, why the heck is this buried in an obscure, vaguely named dialog you can only reach in one mode?" He is also wrong about that -- in the Photo Persona (not "mode") the Assistant manager includes a button to switch to the Develop Persona assistant. I don't know about anybody else but to me neither "Develop" nor "Assistant Options" (the latter appearing in the Develop Persona toolbar by default) seem obscure or vaguely named to me.

It is fairly obvious this blogger enjoys sharing his "thoughts" on dozens of different topics with anybody he can get to read his blog, but it is also obvious if you read many of them that quite often he does not know much about what he is writing about & does at best superficial research or experimentation before he starts a new topic. He reminds me of too many people I have had casual, face-to-face conversations with -- they love sharing their rant-filled opinions with anybody who will listen to them but are not very interested in accuracy, details, or anything else that might suggest they are not the 'deep thinkers' they think they are.

Affinity Photo 

I have been a Serif customer since 1991, and have kept many of their products up to date. Their achievment, capped by the still developing Affinity series is remarkable, and is to be celebrated. However, I remain an amateur, and I hope I am forgiven for occasionally seeking clarification or response to adverse comment, whether ill informed or not. At least that process provides a justification for a public refutation which might otherwise sound shrill.

4 hours ago, GrahamMYC said:

MBd and R C-R

Include me out of your spat please

Please don't make more of this than is there. It isn't a spat, just a difference of opinion. ;)

Affinity Photo