You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[ADe] Knife tool

26 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Jowday,
I didn't check the nodes afterwards and yes I agree it's not a great result but that wasn't the point (both Expand Stroke and Boolean Operations issues were acknowledged previously). I was trying to demonstrate it's possible to use a line to precisely cut a shape without having to expand the line creating a small gap between the separated parts. Here's a file without the node's issues: line cut 2.afdesign. Thanks for checking. 

But...

Any person or application can have the shape "cut" by overlaying a line, adding nodes, breaking, etc., and end up with two pieces. At least if that's how you "cut a shape" with the line. If that's what you did, that's not really cutting a shape with a line.

If you actually selected the shape and the line and divided/intersected/cut in one single action, I suspect I'm not the only person that would like to see how you did it.

• Staff

Hi Mike,
If you read my first post on this thread you will notice I quoted R C-R comment where it says in the last line that even with consuming workarounds it's still not possible to get 'real' cut-line functionality referring to the same clean result as a knife tool would output - no gaps between shapes. I said in that post that it's not possible to do it directly - so no, I'm not really cutting the shape as with a traditional  knife tool or using a line through a boolean operation as in Xara Designer for example, that wasn't my point anyway - but it's certainly possible to get an accurate result/output as if it was cut by a line at least on this case. That's what the attached file is supposed to show.

I would also like to be able to perform boolean operations between lines and shapes in Affinity.

16 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi Jowday,
I didn't check the nodes afterwards and yes I agree it's not a great result but that wasn't the point (both Expand Stroke and Boolean Operations issues were acknowledged previously). I was trying to demonstrate it's possible to use a line to precisely cut a shape without having to expand the line creating a small gap between the separated parts. Here's a file without the node's issues: line cut 2.afdesign. Thanks for checking. 

Thank you for taking your time and for the file. That indeed looks better. But as @MikeW I am curious ... how exactly you did it.

Believe it or not after my Hürtgen Forest like artillery attacks but I do actually use AD for some large posters - the bitmap fills are great when I can away with pixel data -  but I constantly have to utilize Adobe Illustrator (or Gravit Designer or Inkscape on an older private laptop) for making, adjusting and tuning vector objects. Actually I waste so much time drawing everything manually in AD that I have to make most vector work in Illustrator and finalize it in AD... but just a knife'ish work around would help.

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

Just now, Jowday said:

Thank you for taking your time and for the file. That indeed looks better. But as @MikeW I am curious ... how exactly you did it.

Believe it or not after my Hürtgen Forest like artillery attacks but I do actually use AD for some large posters - the bitmap fills are great when I can away with pixel data -  but I constantly have to utilize Adobe Illustrator (or Gravit Designer or Inkscape on an older private laptop) for making, adjusting and tuning vector objects. Actually I waste so much time drawing everything manually in AD that I have to make most vector work in Illustrator and finalize it in AD... but just a knife'ish work around would help.

MEB added nodes where the line intersects with the shape and broke it apart, reconnected the appropriate points in order to make two separate closed shapes.

13 minutes ago, MEB said:

No need to deal with nodes. A Divide boolean operation is enough. Here's a quick GIF of the process I used. I changed the fill colour of all the elements just to make clear what I deleted.

Thank you again, MEB. (and to @MikeW for taking the time)

Ah, of course. Facepalm. Silly me. I have this issue in my head, I constantly forget about the divide boolean operation in AD! My fault. It is extremely useful in many situations.

Then we don't even have to make a line and break the curve. Just draw around the shape and divide.

Violá; a work around! :)

quick.afdesign

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.