A knife tool for splitting paths would come in handy.

Cutting open paths is optionless. When cutting closed shapes in two parts (or more, depending on the form) there could be an user definable option whether the resulting paths will be open or closed.

Matthias

I second some sort of knife tool and perhaps a vector eraser. Other than the boolean ways of slicing and dicing, it's nice to have a quick one click on a path workflow to trim and go...

I second some sort of knife tool and perhaps a vector eraser. Other than the boolean ways of slicing and dicing, it's nice to have a quick one click on a path workflow to trim and go...

Knife tools is on our roadmap.

Thanks TonyB.

+1 For the vector eraser. And if you still have some spare time after implementing it, I think that a "simplify path" option would be also nice :-)

Thank you

Maybe can you add trim option to knife tool? I mean, ie. when two lines intersecting (or line and figure or figures), clicking them with Option can cut them and with Shift cut them and join.

You can create a node where you want to break the path and then go to Node Tool and press Break Curve (first icon) from the Action section in the context toolbar.

Apologies if this is not the right place to post this but I could not find anything more relevant when searching for "Break Tool."

Anyway, regarding that tool it needs:

1. A hotkey shortcut of some kind, or anything that eliminates the constant need to go to the toolbar to select it, like being an item on a contextual popup menu (or both).

2. Much more than that, it needs to work on multiple selected nodes. As it is, it either doesn't do anything when clicked with more than one node selected or just breaks the curve at one node. This would make it quick & easy to "unclose" closed curves at any desired nodes, something I seem to find myself needing to do often.

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

On 8/14/2014 at 4:52 PM, TonyB said:

Knife tools is on our roadmap.

Good (old) news!

BTW In the meantime I have to use this Affinity knife tool - but it's quite monitor unfriendly. :(

"Men are like sheep, of which a flock is more easily driven than a single one."

"Experienced vector artists and infographic designers will find a noticeable lack of the more advanced tools found in Illustrator CC." (source)

9 minutes ago, Jowday said:

Good (old) news!

BTW In the meantime I have to use this Affinity knife tool - but it's quite monitor unfriendly. :(

Well, that certainly gives a new meaning to the phrase “computer hacking”!! :D

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.2.471 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.2.153 • Designer for iPad 1.7.2.6 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

And don't forget the ability to split an object using a line (where the line weight doesn't affect the split/divide ala Xara products). I use a line as much as I use a knife tool...just for different purposes.

9 hours ago, MikeW said:

And don't forget the ability to split an object using a line (where the line weight doesn't affect the split/divide ala Xara products). I use a line as much as I use a knife tool...just for different purposes.

If you can use a line to split an object, why do you need a separate knife tool? :/

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.2.471 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.2.153 • Designer for iPad 1.7.2.6 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

5 hours ago, Alfred said:

If you can use a line to split an object, why do you need a separate knife tool? :/

Knife is faster and can be freeform or constrained. A line can be constrained or a precise shape. Both are complimentary to the same task.

55 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Knife is faster and can be freeform or constrained. A line can be constrained or a precise shape.

So, a knife and a line can both be either freeform or constrained to a precise shape/path. I’ll take your word for it that a knife works faster!

Alfred online2long.gif

A knife's and a line's angle constraints are similar. But when using a line requires more steps to slice an object whereas the knife is immediate. However its constraints are limited to certain angles of degree. But using a line, one can also set the angle precisely.

Which to use depends on the slicing objective. 

16 hours ago, MikeW said:

And don't forget the ability to split an object using a line (where the line weight doesn't affect the split/divide...

It is almost possible to fake that with a workaround, but it takes way too many steps, exposes what is probably yet another bug in the Expand Stroke algorithm, & still leaves a tiny gap around the object where it is split. The workaround involves using the Pen Tool to make the line with a very narrow stroke width so that expanded, dividing it with the shape to be cut only leaves a gap along the cut line narrow enough that it could be ignored in some workflows.

Almost line cut.afdesign (history included) shows what I mean.

history.jpg.f0bdb502bcc6282fb86d0fc8fde9ed59.jpg

I only mention this to show that even with time consuming workarounds, we still can't get 'real' cut-line functionality.

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1

1 minute ago, R C-R said:

I only mention this to show that even with time consuming workarounds, we still can't get 'real' cut-line functionality

Yep. It's a right pita using an expanded line, even if expanding worked correctly.

23 minutes ago, R C-R said:

It is almost possible to fake that with a workaround, but it takes way too many steps, exposes what is probably yet another bug in the Expand Stroke algorithm, & still leaves a tiny gap around the object where it is split. The workaround involves using the Pen Tool to make the line with a very narrow stroke width so that expanded, dividing it with the shape to be cut only leaves a gap along the cut line narrow enough that it could be ignored in some workflows.

Almost line cut.afdesign (history included) shows what I mean.

history.jpg.f0bdb502bcc6282fb86d0fc8fde9ed59.jpg

I only mention this to show that even with time consuming workarounds, we still can't get 'real' cut-line functionality.

It's certainly possible but not in a direct way: line cut.afdesign

On 9/4/2019 at 5:58 PM, MEB said:

It's certainly possible but not in a direct way: line cut.afdesign

Inspecting the result is not great news:

image.thumb.png.44cbe5ba1526d0608bd0e9679cbb15f5.png

image.png.a1328c8413692e8ec262fcfefab76608.png

"Men are like sheep, of which a flock is more easily driven than a single one."

"Experienced vector artists and infographic designers will find a noticeable lack of the more advanced tools found in Illustrator CC." (source)

@Jowday: I give up. What does Recent Profile Visitors have to do with any of this? :S

On 9/7/2019 at 2:43 PM, Jowday said:

Inspecting the result is not great news:

Hi Jowday,
I didn't check the nodes afterwards and yes I agree it's not a great result but that wasn't the point (both Expand Stroke and Boolean Operations issues were acknowledged previously). I was trying to demonstrate it's possible to use a line to precisely cut a shape without having to expand the line creating a small gap between the separated parts. Here's a file without the node's issues: line cut 2.afdesign. Thanks for checking.