You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.6 - Beta 10)

Just wondering when we're gonna get page bleed view and guides as I'm struggling producing PDFs with documents with artboards that need bleed (see attached) - If I do the pages separately (non artboard doc) it puts as expected - I also flagged this same problem in March

Also I can't seem to get a work around for page order when using artboards - the second screen shot shows how the Designer doc is set up yet the PDF (see first screen shot) seems to order pages in order of when the content was created - I've tried tricking designer by creating new artboards and cutting and copying content from pages to reorder rather than dragging artboards into order position - just doesn't seem to work

Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 16.26.56.png

Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 16.29.54.png

Daz1.png

Mac Pro Cheese-grater (Early 2009) 2.93 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon 48 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ECC Ram, Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5, Ugee 19" Graphics Tablet Monitor Triple boot via OCLP 1.2.1 - Mac OS Monterey 12.7.1, Sonoma 14.1.1 and Mojave 10.14.6

Affinity Publisher, Designer and Photo 1.10.5 - 2.2.1

www.bingercreative.co.uk

You have to change artboards order from layers panel instead of moving your artboards on canvas.

I hope bleed view is going to be soon but for now you can put rectangle with your artboard size + bleed, than you can give him stroke 1px but without fill (I prefer magenta color for better visibility).

Then put your "custom"  bleed guide over your artboard. It's gonna be exported to pdf if you leave it in artboard so move it above artboard in layers panel.

• Staff

Richard, 

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

Thanks for your contribution. I moved your other bleed related post to the feature request forum, although frankly you aren't alone and lots of the posts in this thread are talking about what the software doesn't yet do (rather than being a discussion on how this build is functioning, which is more the purpose of a beta thread )  

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

I am not able to open and convert PDFs and even place PNGs into existing Affinity Designer Beta 10 documents.  I get permission errors (see attached).  What I have to do is open up the MAS version then save as an Affinity file and then open up in Beta 10.   This is really getting tedious.  Please help with these permissions errors.  I reboot to see if this is fixed but it's not. 

Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 3.16.36 PM.png

CMD-J (duplicate) causes object to shrink OR jump OR vanish completely …

Are you talking about repeatedly duplicating objects by using Cmd + J, that is, using Power Duplicate? Or, what kind of objects are affected? :/

Tried Cmd-J with both circles and rectangles - I was just trying to make one duplicate, not using the repeating (which is a neat feature)

Tried drop down menu bar also 

Effects were the same.   First few times, the object I was duplicating just shrank, then it started jumping (leaping really) then it just vanished. 

I've gone back to Beta 9 and this all works fine. 

That is weird. I have not seen that. You might try to reset the app. Open Launchpad, hold down the Ctrl key and click the icon of Affinity Designer Beta. You will be presented a screen, where you can reset the app. Maybe that will help … :/

There are a few small functioning problems. I hope it's okay if I post them here.

• Cmd + Select is a shortcut to select objects clipped in others, but it does not work if the shape the objects are in does not have a fill applied.
  • Joining curves some times increases or decreases the stroke size even if the size to the curves were the same. (This happens randomly.)
  • Pressing the Delete key to delete points in the Pressure window ends up deleting the whole object

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

On 9. 10. 2017 at 0:20 AM, abarkalo said:

I am not able to open and convert PDFs and even place PNGs into existing Affinity Designer Beta 10 documents.  I get permission errors (see attached).  What I have to do is open up the MAS version then save as an Affinity file and then open up in Beta 10.   This is really getting tedious.  Please help with these permissions errors.  I reboot to see if this is fixed but it's not. 

As a workaround you can try to drag & drop the file to Dock icon. This should open the file and then you can copy & paste it into existing document.

I have the same issue even on stable 1.5.5 version. Not sure why this happens but maybe it's related to iCloud Drive folders (my design files are stored in Documents on iCloud Drive). When I try to place the file from other locations it works fine. Also when I copy the PNG file from the iCloud Drive folder to other non-iCloud Folder, it does not work as well (maybe the permissions are copied as well).

--

Petr

• Staff
On 08/10/2017 at 11:20 PM, abarkalo said:

Screen Shot 2017-10-08 at 3.16.36 PM.png

Can I suggest trying to 'repair permissions' from Disk Utility? This sounds seriously odd... :S

23 hours ago, MattP said:

Can I suggest trying to 'repair permissions' from Disk Utility? This sounds seriously odd... :S

I have the same issue here, it happens even with AD v1.5.5. Not sure why this happens, it does not work for any image file. But when you drag&drop it to dock icon, it opens the file correctly...

I have recently upgraded to High Sierra so not sure if it's somehow related. 

• Staff
37 minutes ago, jospo said:

I have the same issue here, it happens even with AD v1.5.5. Not sure why this happens, it does not work for any image file. But when you drag&drop it to dock icon, it opens the file correctly...

I have recently upgraded to High Sierra so not sure if it's somehow related. 

Could you try running 'First Aid' in Disk Utility, just to see if there's anything wrong? It's very odd... :S 

• Staff
6 minutes ago, MattP said:

Could you try running 'First Aid' in Disk Utility, just to see if there's anything wrong? It's very odd... :S 

I was just trying to research the problem and, as crazy as this sounds, do you happen to have quite a few fonts installed? If so, is it possible to disable a number of them and see if it suddenly starts working? FontBook will allow you to do this quite easily :) 

59 minutes ago, MattP said:

I was just trying to research the problem and, as crazy as this sounds, do you happen to have quite a few fonts installed? If so, is it possible to disable a number of them and see if it suddenly starts working? FontBook will allow you to do this quite easily :) 

Matt - you beat me to it.  I was just going to say that this is a font overload issue.  I think the upper limit before these errors happen is about 1000 fonts - nothing to do with disk errors. (I have many more than that). My iMac had the same exact problem.  I disabled all on Extensis Suitcase and created project sets for the fonts I use per project. It now runs super fast but I'm losing the ability to test out fonts on the fly  (I wish there was a plugin to auto activate  fonts).

But the MAS version doesn't have this issue.  And it doesn't crash on the Typography styles panel like the beta does on a particular font.  

2 hours ago, MattP said:

Hi Matt,

Yes, I do have a lot of fonts installed (around 850). But disabling them (I left only System fonts enabled) did not help to resolve the issue though. 

I still think it has to do something with regular file permissions.

Notice following behavior:

1) Open AD (1.5.5 or 1.6b11)

2) Drag .afdesign file onto the app window – error message appears:

Image%202017-10-13%20at%2012.59.17%20odp

3) Drag the same file to app icon in dock – the file is opened 

4) Save the file with different filename and close it. Don't close the app.

5) Drag this file name onto the app window – now it works fine and the file is opened.

6) Close this file without saving and and try to drag and drop it onto the app window again - now it does not work for some reason

You can download the test files I am using to recreate the issue here:

https://cl.ly/0y1f072m2M38/test-files.zip

• Staff
1 hour ago, jospo said:

Hi Matt,

Yes, I do have a lot of fonts installed (around 850). But disabling them (I left only System fonts enabled) did not help to resolve the issue though. 

I still think it has to do something with regular file permissions.

Notice following behavior:

1) Open AD (1.5.5 or 1.6b11)

2) Drag .afdesign file onto the app window – error message appears:

Image%202017-10-13%20at%2012.59.17%20odp

3) Drag the same file to app icon in dock – the file is opened 

4) Save the file with different filename and close it. Don't close the app.

5) Drag this file name onto the app window – now it works fine and the file is opened.

6) Close this file without saving and and try to drag and drop it onto the app window again - now it does not work for some reason

You can download the test files I am using to recreate the issue here:

https://cl.ly/0y1f072m2M38/test-files.zip

Your files work great for me and I've tried to repeat your process and it never fails :(

Can I ask you to try to make a new Admin user on your system (in Users & Groups, System Preferences) and see if that new user has the same problem? The new user can be deleted again afterwards :) 

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Your files work great for me and I've tried to repeat your process and it never fails :(

Can I ask you to try to make a new Admin user on your system (in Users & Groups, System Preferences) and see if that new user has the same problem? The new user can be deleted again afterwards :) 

Hi Matt, I tried that but the issue is the same.

Cheers

Petr

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.