You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.6 - Beta 10)

• Staff

Purpose: New features, fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download: Here

This beta version represents a substantial change to our codebase and as much as we have tried to ensure the quality of the code, it should be considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is definitely worth noting that files created in Affinity 1.6 may not open in 1.5 so always make a copy of your important documents before opening them in 1.6 to ensure you do not accidentally overwrite them and are unable to open them in your 1.5 version.

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

Fixes/Improvements:

• Fix for 2 Layers panels showing when using 'Find in Layers Panel'
  • Fix for Magic Mouse 'scrolling while dragging' issues
  • Fix for poor visibility of marching ants in Metal view mode
  • Fix for screen flicker when marching ants are visible in OpenGL view mode
  • Fix for issues with commands (including Undo/Redo) failing on older operating systems (Mountain Lion and earlier)
  • Fix for a couple of SVG import issues
  • Miscellaneous other fixes and tweaks

Well that didn't take long.

FYI, I noticed that there was a problem with growing and shrinking selections in Beta 9, but that's not the case here now.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

• Staff
6 minutes ago, owenr said:

Matt, the attached video shows another display issue, but this one happens with both Metal and OpenGL. This display corruption while painting in a pixel layer has been around for a few betas now, so not sure if it is on your radar.

ADPaint.m4v

Hmmm.... not happening for me, otherwise I would've fixed it! :( Is anyone else able to reproduce this? Thanks!

Hang on: Have you set the 'Retina rendering:' options to something other than the 'Automatic (Best)' setting?

On 15/09/2017 at 5:32 PM, Oval said:

The other black hole:

Double-click on a handle of a single-segment vertical/horizontal line still results into something like a non-existent curve: two nodes on the same position.

I'm sorry you've been facing this issue for a while. Would you be able to make a recording of this? For me, no action is caused by double clicking a handle, so I'm wondering what you might be doing differently or if I'm misunderstanding the issue.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

52 minutes ago, owenr said:

Create a line with width or height of zero (a perfectly horizontal line, for example). Use Move Tool to double-click an end handle of the bounding box: the object suddenly has zero width and zero height. Undo seems to be the only way to restore the object because editing is (understandably) disabled for a dimension that is zero.

Just tested and don't have this problem.

Out of curiosity what are your View quality settings?

Do you have precise clipping on? Dithering gradients?

Oh God, that doesn't look right. I don't face the issue with the node tool but definitely with the move tool.

2 hours ago, owenr said:

Matt, the attached video shows another display issue, but this one happens with both Metal and OpenGL. This display corruption while painting in a pixel layer has been around for a few betas now, so not sure if it is on your radar.

ADPaint.m4v

2 hours ago, MattP said:

Hmmm.... not happening for me, otherwise I would've fixed it! :( Is anyone else able to reproduce this? Thanks!

Hang on: Have you set the 'Retina rendering:' options to something other than the 'Automatic (Best)' setting?

1 hour ago, matt said:

Artboard name text rendering is missing certain rows of pixels in Metal mode:

59bc11ffb30b5_ScreenShot2017-09-15at18_45_13.png.b03304eab43ae694c07f015e1eb885d7.png

Compare to OpenGL mode:

59bc12599b2ee_ScreenShot2017-09-15at18_47_36.png.de57a2e544cb1504e91fc8806431cc45.png

1.6 beta 10

If it can help, I don’t have this issues on iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) with AMD Radeon R9 M395 2048 MB and 24 GB of RAM 

Schermata 2017-09-15 alle 21.32.24.png

2 hours ago, owenr said:

The "black hole" issue has nothing to do with view quality (or the colour black). The object's actual width and height become precisely zero - it becomes a singularity, hence the term "black hole". I doubt that you are testing the same thing as the rest of us.

Enlighten me.

Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 3.16.57 PM (2).png

Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 3.17.49 PM (2).png

Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 3.18.54 PM (2).png

Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 3.18.59 PM (2).png

Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 3.19.05 PM (2).png

On 16. September 2017 at 0:20 AM, mdriftmeyer said:
On 15. September 2017 at 10:06 PM, owenr said:

The "black hole" issue

Enlighten me.

those black holes cannot light up anybody ;) they are only made to generate posts with affinity infinitely many pictures ;)

21 hours ago, owenr said:

1.thumb.png.baea49317cc9c476d6ad7be7a90422a2.png

2.thumb.png.602978c3cb826f786c139215a90320a0.png

3.thumb.png.cc31a8a08a22c6c5fd5de0f9dae81222.png

Understood. Reproduced, and it seems double clicking that point on a line [a point space] is mathematically transforming the object into a single point which by mathematical and physical laws has no dimensions in the first place. In short, that action should perform not transform in the first place causing it to convert a line into a point space.

On 15/09/2017 at 8:33 PM, Teo_ said:

If it can help, I don’t have this issues on iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) with AMD Radeon R9 M395 2048 MB and 24 GB of RAM 

I was working on rMBP 13" early-2013 with only integrated Intel HD Graphics 4000 graphics 

http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/macbook_pro/specs/macbook-pro-core-i7-3.0-13-early-2013-retina-display-specs.html

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.