You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dividing overlapping shapes create non consecutive shapes

Hi,

When I divide two overlapping shapes,

there is a thin blank line between the resulting shapes, showing they are not consecutive. There is a thin blank space between the shapes, and it is visible at export.

https://i.imgur.com/wQhEXZK.gifv

How to handle this problem ?

Thanks for your support !

Related thread (but different): Merge two juxtaposing shapes after a divisions create a lots of inside points - Questions - Affinity | Forum

• Staff

Hey X-Raym, welcome to the Affinity Forums :)

We've known about this for some time. It happens because of the anti-aliasing picking up the white background on the object boundaries. 

As a workaround, you can add a small stroke that is the same colour as the object. I believe this happens with other vector based programs as well. Hopefully we can improve it at some point. Thanks for raising this. 

Oh ok, I didn't found it when I searched, I guess the problem has been reported with other keywords :P

you can add a small stroke that is the same colour as the object.

Thanks for the trick ! Indeed having a 0.1 border seems to visually work.

I believe this happens with other vector based programs as well.

You are right, it is the same in Illustrator, less visible but there.

But with Illustrator, you can merge the shapes back without creating extra points. https://i.imgur.com/i34M1CK.gifv, as explained in the Merge two juxtaposing shapes after a divisions create a lots of inside points - Questions - Affinity | Forum thread.

(EDIT: just saw in the other thread that the merging bug will be fixed in next release. Nice!)

Edited by X-Raym
reply in another thread