You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Levels channel switching keyboard shortcut

Hello all,

For the last 2.5 months, I've been learning to work with Affinity Photo and especially since coming back from two longer trips, I'm spending a lot of time getting to know it better. It is an absolute delight although some aspects are definitely different from Photoshop and/or have a learning curve.

Now there is one thing that I notice makes me less nimble than working with Photoshop, and I'm hoping someone can help me here.

When I am editing levels, in Photoshop I used to switch between the master/r/g/b channels using a keyboard shortcut (see first screenshot showing the drop-down menu in Photoshop's levels interface). Is there a keyboard shortcut for switching channels in Affinity Photo?

In Photoshop, I used to have my left hand switching the channels, and my right hand holding my drawing pen to control the sliders. Now, I have to point to the drop-down menu, select the channel I want, and then start adjusting. As I tend to alternate between channels a lot, I simply notice it is taking a lot of the speed out of my workflow.

I also wonder why there aren't channel switching controls on the TouchBar for Levels. With the B/W conversion interface, it has buttons to select each color channel (see second screenshot, showing the TouchBar controls for b/w conversion). Conversely, with the Levels interface, it only provides controls for black, white, gamma, and presets. Why not a control to switch between master/r/g/b?

Many thanks in advance for your support!

Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 01.18.13.png

Touch Bar Shot 2017-09-15 at 01.29.01.png

Handy keyboard shortcuts to access channel controls for Levels or Curves adjustment layers?  Ooh, yes please!!  Please!  PLEASE!  :D

I wouldn't complain if they weren't set initially (cmd-1, cmd-2 and cmd-3 are already set by default to View 100%, 200% and 400%, as far as I can see) but having the option apply my own choice of modifiers would be great.

And if we could get that, being able to control the display of the corresponding Histogram channels in a similar manner (by adding, say, the Opt modifier to whatever a user chose for the adjustment layers) would be the icing on the cake!

—— Gary ——

Photo/Designer/Publisher: Affinity Store, v2.1.1 release

Mac mini (M1, 2020), 16GB/2TB, macOS Ventura 13.4.1(c) • MacBook Pro (Intel), macOS Ventura • Windows 10 via VMware Fusion • iOS: current release

There's lots of shortcut keys needing adding. If they all can't be done at once, perhaps we could vote for which to do first.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.