You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Nef Images not showing

Well todays upload showed ok I had deleted the others that would not show the raw file or I convert it to a dng file but would prefer not to do that.

I it happens again I will post it to the link you gave its almost its got a mind of its own _ will I show the image today or not :)

Thanks for your reply pauls 

I do use the large format in raw that image is smaller due to the crop factor on the D500 just gets me closer for birds in-flight so I know its not that.

I saw in another question the person was updating to the new beta version and putting it in the same folder I think I have been doing the same actually if I uninstalled then reinstalled do you think that would work as the last build did work.

Thx 

Thinking about the file size it might be that actually I haven't any more at the moment to try -  could it not be fixed to take any raw file size as I said its smaller with the crop on camera.

• Staff

Hi

Beta versions uninstall the previous beta so replacing a beta is fine. Never install a beta into the same folder as the retail version.

I can see that the bit depth in the exif for that photo is 12 which would suggest one of the smaller raw formats. The crop factor is a different setting which I dont believe is the cause of your issue. I think the problem is down to the NEF(Raw) settings : Compression and Bit depth. For birds in flight ensuring you have 14 bit would help bring out some more detail.

I've logged the issue for the developers to investigate.

Regards

Paul

Hi,

No I haven't put it into the retail one.

Took some shots  earlier in Raw which I always use and the size is always large  5568x3712 ,20.7M I only use the crop mainly for BIF that was a distant shot I don't know if you saw the image a swallow in-flight which was poor my bit depth is always 12 I have changed to the 14 bit I had it on uncompressed though.

Will see if that makes a change I also noticed when edited to a jpeg it goes down to a 8 bit :( 

Thx very much :)

• Staff

Hopefully those settings will be better in future. I did see the photo - never managed to capture a good photo of a swift in flight myself, it's quite a challenge.

So long as you do your editing at the raw stage or in 16bit format in Affinity Photo then that's pretty much the best you can do. Only drop to 8 Bit when exporting a final image

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.