You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo Mac. layer is missing on PNG/JPEG/PSD export

Hi there,

I am desperately trying to export a simple 3 layer Affinity photo document.

• layer 1: logo
  • layer 2: bitmap-pattern with 50% transparency (multiply) 
  • layer 3: 100% fill color
  •  

Layer 1 and 3 show up as expected. Layer is 2 missing. Looks like the export engine doesn’t support Alpha layers and are ignored. What else can I do? Is this is bug? Thank you for your help. 

All I can offer is that .jpg does not support any transparency.

Perhaps post a screen grab showing the layer set up, and a sample of at least a portion of the image.  Trying to duplicate from your description gives me a .psd w. layer settings retained. .Png and .jpg are flattened, with the transparency translated.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Sorry, maybe I wasn’t clear enough with my original question. Due to tight deadlines I had to switch back to Photoshop. 

layer 2: it’s a bitmap (PNG file) which I attached as pattern. I’ve attached 2 screenshots. On export the pattern structure is missing

layer-set-up-02.png.fdddc9c8b6852c907df01633f1ce4eea.pnglayer-set-up-01.png.462ed3659d0c05bfe971728c5109b63c.png

• Staff

Thanks for the files howdytom. I'm not surprised that the pattern is not included when exporting to PSD (i believe we currently we don't support this - not all PSD feature are supported) but the issues with PNG/JPG shouldn't be happening. This is due to the way patterns were implemented in the application (there's still some limitations here). I've been logging them and will pass them to the dev team tfor inspection. I will also include you file as an user case example. Can you also upload the two pattern files you used on Pattern Quadrat and Pattern Streifen layers (using the link i provided above) please?

MEB, thank you for your quick reply. yes, I have also uploaded both pattern layers as separate file.

Compatibility with Photoshop isn’t that important to me. I’d rather prefer using Affinity and export the final result. This time it was a very simple document, so re-creating the file in Photoshop wasn’t a big deal. However pattern layers should not be missing on PNG/JPG

• Staff

Hi howdytom,
Thanks for the additional files. There's no layered PNG's - only Fireworks (from Macromedia later acquired by Adobe) was able to create them inserting proprietary data in the PNG file. Layers are not part of the official PNG spec.

In the case of your file, the pattern is being included in the exported PNG (flattened) and it matches what is being rendered inside Photo (zoom in the exported file considerably and you will end up seeing a pattern there) however its scale/resampling when placed on the afphoto document doesn't match the pattern image you selected (at 1:1), thus the almost "flat" solid grey when you look at the image at 100% zoom. If you select the Gradient Tool and look at the top left (X:0,Y:0 coordinates) of you document in Affinity you will see the Gradient Tool handles there (you will need to zoom in a lot until you see them clearly). Lock them in the context toolbar (pressing the padlock icon) and then drag one of the end handles to change the scale of the pattern - you will see it appearing as you'd expect. Currently there's no way to insert the pattern at 1:1 on the photo document.

• 1 year later...
8 minutes ago, Andy Far Out said:

And if I want to have a jpg of a logo in a white circle (see screen capture), what must I do? The result is the logo on the entire white background (see Untitled.jpg).

Save in an image/file format which supports transparency (like PNG, GIF ...). If your document has a transparent background, export as PNG and look under the more options panel that the background is indeed there set as transparent.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2