You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Part of a layer "seared" onto another layer

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out how to seperate two layers. One layer has part of another layer "seared" onto it (excuse my lack of terminology). As shown in the accompanying screenshot, the arrows point to the elements that are carrying over from the adjacent layer. In other words when I move the selected layer, it also moves the portion which the arrows are pointing to. I do not want the 10 and the In to be a part of that layer.

Hope this makes sense.

J

seared layers.jpg

It looks like the upper layer titled "(image)" has been placed in your document from another source (probably a jpg or png file)

Find that file and I think you will find it has the characters "10" and "In" on that file.

Use any editor to get rid of them then place the file again into your document

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I don't know the correct terminology. In this screen shot, you can see the "residue" that remains when I move the "(Amenities...)" layer. How do I remove it? I tried using a simple white square to cover it up, but it doesn't look right because of the gradient used in the "(Image)" layer. 

J

seared image.jpg

6 minutes ago, MEB said:

Seems you have imported a PDF or PSD and the shadow below the blue stamp forced the rasterization of the background area picking some of the text on the right. Do you have access to the original file?

I do have access to the file. It's an Adobe Illustrator file.

J

• Staff

You can remove the shadow inside Adobe Illustrator to prevent the rasterisation of that background area then add it again inside Affinity Designer with the Outer Shadow Layer FX effect. All the objects that were below/affected by the rasterisation of the shadow should then be saved/imported as independent vector objects that you can manipulate freely. If you don't have access to Adobe Illustrator then it's more complicated since Affinity can only access the PDF stream/data of the Ai file (the rest is proprietary).

10 minutes ago, MEB said:

You can remove the shadow inside Adobe Illustrator to prevent the rasterisation of that background area then add it again inside Affinity Designer with the Outer Shadow Layer FX effect. All the objects that were below/affected by the rasterisation of the shadow should then be saved/imported as independent vector objects that you can manipulate freely. 

Unfortunately, I don't have access to Adobe Illustrator. :l

7 hours ago, jesahs said:

Here's the image. The upper layer titled "(image)" has the residue from the layer beneath it, titled "(Amenities...)". I want to remove the residue of the lower layer from the upper layer.

Regarding the terminology, what you are calling the title of the "(Image)" layer is not a title. It is the automatically added notation used to indicate this is a rasterized image layer, treated as an object layer in Affinity. The layer below it is a Frame Text object layer, indicated by the "T" in a box icon in its thumbnail. Other layer notations you may see include (Curves), (Rectangle), & many others. You can name any layer however you wish by double-clicking on the text & entering text, which effectively becomes its title.

It can be confusing because unlike the other layer types, Frame & Artistic text layers do not get an automatically added (Frame Text) or (Artistic Text) notation; instead between the parentheses they get a fragment of the text, truncated as needed to fit the width of the Layers panel.

That is only tangentially relevant here but it may help you understand what layer types are & their properties & behaviors.

Anyway, the "residue" is not from the  "(Amenities...)" Frame Text layer but from the "(image)" layer above it. You can see this if you look carefully at the thumbnail of the "(image)" layer -- those tiny dots on the right edge are the fragments of the "10" & "In" text included in that image. Another way to see this more clearly is to temporarily hide all the other layers. A quick way to do that is to click on the thumbnail of the "(image)" layer with the alt/option key held down.

This may help you understand what @carl123 & others say about how to resolve the issue.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7