Stephenmex

Suddenly cannot export in PNG, also image quality has declined

Hi Guys,

I hope that you can provide me with some solutions to a problem that is very frustrating.  For some unknown reason, in the last day I am unable to export any images in PNG format.  Nothing had changed in my use of affinity designer, also the images that were exported were blurry and a little pixelated, not as normal.  When set for PNG export the images were exported in JPEG format.  I did many tests and have a small workaround, by setting the canvas as transparent this allows me to have a PNG format but the quality of the image is still not as normal, blurry and a little pixelated.

I have tried to resolve this in every reasonable way, but this issue seems to persist.  I'm using a MacBook Pro and have had no updates of software for any other applications.  I am at a loss to understand why this suddenly happened, I have done a factory restore of the application but this has not resolved the issue.  I use the application daily and this is a great inconvenience to me, I hope someone can provide me with a solution to fix the quality of the image and resolve the PNG issue also.

Many thanks in advance

Hi MEB,

Thanks for your response.  I am in draw persona, I had changed none of the settings.  I normally like the canvas to be white when designing, but it does not matter what I seem to do, it is exporting as a JPEG.  Also the quality of the export now is a little blurry and not the quality that it has been previously.  I have always used draw persona and never encountered any difficulties before.  I'm not sure if that helps but I appreciate your attention.

Stephen

Hi Stephenmex

The app doesn't export to jpeg unless you have instructed it to. When youi say jpeg is that the actual file type extension on the file or are you just referring to the fact it has a white background? The white background will appear if you do not have transparent background enabled but also if you have any matting applied. You should also be able to export without the background by selecting the objects you want to export and choosing Selection without background in the export dialog.

Do any of these work for you?

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

Hi Chris K,

I'm referring to the file extension.  I have tried all of those alternatives but nothing seems to work.  If the canvas is transparent during the design phase then I seem to get a PNG image when exported, though the resolution of the image is a Little blurry and not sharp as normal.  I attach a PNG exported image, in design mode the canvas was white instead of transparent, I never use transparent canvas and I've always been able to export in PNG. The image was 600 X 600 and exported as a PNG as you can see the white background has remained.

Thank you once again for your attention and I appreciate your suggestions.

TEST PNG.png

The file you uploaded has a PNG extension

On the export screen click the More button and check that the Matte setting looks like mine (which  means transparent background)

If it just plain white (without the red line) you will get a white background

png2.jpg

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

Hi Carl123,

Yes I check that earlier but I looked again and yes I have the same as you with the checked red line indicating transparent background.

Thank you very much for your suggestion.  I am really at a loss to understand why this is happening, everything has been fine until yesterday.  I have not changed settings or had any updates on any other software / applications on my MacBook.

I think you're at the stage where you have to upload a sample design file that shows the problem

Due to the fact that Boris Johnson is now our Prime Minister, punctuation, spelling and grammar will never be worried about ever again.  We now have far bigger problems to be concerned about.

Also make sure you have PNG 24 selected and not PNG 8

png3.jpg

Hi Carl123,

I uploaded two images. wnmmedialogo.png was created with canvas set as non-transparent during design, this was exported as a PNG but as you can see it retains a white background.  The second image wnmlogo.png was created with transparent canvas during the design, this is now exports as a PNG but the quality of image has being affected.

Your suggestions are greatly received.

wnmedialogo.png

wnmlogo.png

Hi Stephenmex,

There must be some confusion here. PNG's can have both a solid or a transparent background depending if you set the background of the document to transparent or not (forgetting the Matte option for a moment). Unless i misunderstood you, seems you are calling a solid (non-transparent) PNG as JPG. Can you confirm this so we can clear things a little?

Hi MEB,

Sorry if there's any confusion I will try to clarify here.  During normal creation of a new document, there is the option to choose create artboard, plus the option to have a transparent background during the design stage.  I always choose to create artboard and I do not choose a transparent background for the canvas (this creates a default white canvas instead of the chequered transparent style).  Then at the export option I would choose PNG where are all elements that are designed would be exported and the white canvas background was transparent as I did not choose the chequered background option.

I am aware that PNG can also be for colour so to reduce the weight of the image.  If I choose a transparent background it appears to be okay with a reduction in quality of the Image unfortunately.  My issue is that I prefer to work with the non-transparent background and I was always able to export the artboard and all the images and graphics inside it as a PNG if chosen, with the default white canvas areas becoming transparent.

I have followed that process since first using the software without any issues.  Thank you for your attention on this matter.

Stephen

OK, I think I have an idea why you may have previously had an Artboard with a white canvas but exported your design with transparency.

If you select the Artboard Layer in the Layers panel, then on the Export screen select the option "Selection without Background", then when you export your design the canvas area will become transparent.

See if that works for you and resolves your other PNG quality issue.

PS Are you on the released version or the beta, as there appears to be a little bug in the beta

selectionwithout.jpg

Hi Carl123,

Thanks for your suggestion, I had tried that earlier but with out any success.  The version that I am using is the released version.  Downloaded from the App Store. 

4 minutes ago, Stephenmex said:

... I had tried that earlier but with out any success.  ....

Do you mean you don't get a transparent background or you get a transparent background but the PNG quality is no good.

Hi Carl123,

I can only get a transparent background in export if the canvas is set to transparency in the setup of the document.  My issue is I don't like to design with transparent background and I always had a white canvas when designing (the colour is white by default and does not reflect any of the design), when I needed a PNG export I would choose this, the white canvas areas (By default) with no design elements would then become transparent. This was a default setting in the document if you do not choose transparency in the document set up.

Also you are correct in assuming that there has been a loss in PNG quality.  The workaround solution by choosing a transparent canvas during the creation of the document allows me to export in PNG but the quality is not the same as before. There is a blurring to the image when produced and if I Zoom out when in Preview mode on my MacBook the resolution of the image is tighter and similar as before.

Many thanks for your contributions.

Ok then unless this is a Mac specific problem I am not seeing it (I am on Windows)

Can you upload a project file (not the PNG file) that has a white canvas, which you can't export with transparency, so we can test it out

Hi Carl123,

I created two documents.  The first document was created without a transparent background in the document set up.  Then I exported the image in PNG format (PNG test 1 export), and the result was a white background where there was no elements.  Previously, this would have been transparent as the background was only white by default and not chosen in design.

The second document I chose a transparent background (both had artboards created).  Here I use the same image, again I export in PNG, this time the image is in PNG format when exported.

I hope that helps and you can see the same results as I do.  Once again many thanks for your attention.

png test 1.afdesign

png test 2.afdesign

png test 1 export.png

png test 2 export 2.png

@ Stephenmex

Well I opened your png test 1 document

Selected just the 3 layers under the artboard

Exported with "Selection without Background"

Opened the exported png file and as you can see it has transparency

PS Just seen MEB's reply so this could be a MAC thing, it seems to still work for me on Windows

testdoc.jpg

16 minutes ago, MEB said:

Hi Stephenmex,
We have changed the behaviour of the application regarding this. It worked as you described in previous versions (1.4 if i'm not wrong) but now it always honors the background transparent setting of the document.

Hi MEB,

Okay that's sort of explains it.  Is strange that It suddenly happens on Wednesday previous to that everything was fine, I did update earlier this year to 1.5 without any issues. As Carl123 mentioned this could be a Mac problem.  Thank you so much for your investigations.

Hi Stephenmex,
I've just checked the logs. This was fixed in version 1.5.4 and so never affected the Windows versions since they were released around the same time (not sure about which build the first Window version was based on).

With the previous versions (<1.54) if you exported an image with Transparent background unchecked (so the canvas was white) as PNG-24 it would export as transparent. As i said we changed this behavior so from 1.54 forward we always honor the Transparent background setting in the Document setup dialog. I believe this is the issue you are referring to.

8 minutes ago, carl123 said:

@ Stephenmex

Well I opened your png test 1 document

Selected just the 3 layers under the artboard

Exported with "Selection without Background"

Opened the exported png file and as you can see it has transparency

PS Just seen MEB's reply so this could be a MAC thing, it seems to still work for me on Windows

testdoc.jpg

Thanks Carl123,

I will have to set the transparency during the document setup.  It's very strange that this only occurred recently and with no other issues before.  Could I ask if you had any differences in the quality of the export?  Again this may be my MacBook but I feel the resolution is not as tight as before.  I would like to say thank you to you Carl123 for your help.