You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is it possible to always "Insert behind selection"

from the helpfiles it looks like it should stick, maybe a bug 

Insert behind the selectionInsert at the top of the layerInsert inside the selection To change targeting behaviour:

• From the Toolbar, choose one of the following:
    • Insert behind the selection
    • Insert at the top of the layer
    • Insert inside the selection

To revert to default targeting ensure the active button is switched off.

Alternatively, you can access the default behaviour, as well as the other targeting options, from the Layer menu's Insertion sub-menu.

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

morbandit, I so totally agree with you.  I usually construct my drawing mostly from the top down, meaning I tend to draw a lot of the detail first then the background and that makes the layer's order be from the bottom up.  So I keep having to drag the detail on top of what I just created to keep it visible.  It's easier to drag and reorder 20 layers then it is to hit the toolbar icon before constructing each of 20 shapes.

What I have gotten in the habit of doing is to work with my current layer invisible until the shape is what I want.  Then drag it below the detail and turn the visibility back on to make adjustments and work with the color.

It should be that if the Insert behind selection is clicked once it works for one entry, but if it's double clicked it stays selected until cancelled.

Mike

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

This strikes me as an odd design choice... if it only sticks for a single operation then there is no real saving (in terms of time, number of operations, clicks etc) over pasting any-old-where and moving the object to the desired location.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

I am yet another user who wishes these buttons were "sticky" rather than one-shot-&-reset.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

the ui is showing this:

insert.png.a7986dd834c27e7bd8d4587b069c74ec.png

and everyware in the ui where there is a checkmark it is a sticky setting.

so it is a bug, or the ui should be changed.

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

• 2 weeks later...

Can we have a moderator chime in on the fact that this APPEARS to be a toggle but isn't a toggle at all, it's a one-time thing which makes the feature completely pointless?

It also doesn't work when turning it on and then duplicating or pasting. It's very broken right now!

Cross posted from Bug Report Thread: [By Design] Insert behind selection toggle keeps resetting

1 hour ago, Chris_K said:

this is by design as it is felt that keeping it sticky will make it generally to confusing for most as it will be left on without people realising

How about removing the feature all together - then it will not be confusing to anyone?

I am serious!

At present, users who want the option to change how objects are stacked on creation are being misled (by the help file, the UI and reasonable assumptions based upon similar toggles) that AD will give them this control.

Users who would be confused by the toggle sticking are, IMHO, just as likely to be confused by the current setup…

• They must remember that the feature exists
  • Remember where it is located.
  • Remember to click it before creating the new object.
  • And remember to have the correct layer selected (so that the relative positioning makes sense).
  • Plus, understand that this is a sequence that they must perform each time they want to deviate from the default!

I honestly thing that just creating the object anywhere and then moving it is easier for everyone than the currently implemented solution.

My preferred outcome would be a sticky toggle (as discussed HERE). I really hope the developers revisit this particular design choice!

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

The shortcut keys to move behind or in front are Ctrl + [  or  Ctrl + ]

I set the shortcut Alt + [  to Inset behind. 

Only takes a moment to press. Not perfect perhaps, but it may help for now ?

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

3 hours ago, Aammppaa said:

How about removing the feature all together - then it will not be confusing to anyone?

I can only speak for myself, but for me it would not be confusing if it was considerably more obvious if any button in the Insert Target button group in the Toolbar was toggled on or not. This is just another aspect of the same problem caused by the low contrast button backgrounds in other parts of the UI, which makes it difficult to see if a 'sticky' button is on or off.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

56 minutes ago, morbandit said:

Seems unbelievable to me that they are happy with the way this currently works. What the heck is the point in it?

If the currently selected layer on the canvas is several layers deep in a group hierarchy, clicking (for example) the 'insert inside' button on the toolbar can save a trip to the Layers panel. I use that button frequently, particularly when the Layers panel is not fully expanded.

Affinity Photo 

• 1 year later...
21 minutes ago, Josie said:

How do I insert behind and in front of a selection or a photo when designing on the iPad?

This is an old thread about the desktop versions of the Affinity apps. Please create a new thread in the Affinity on iPad Questions forum.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)