You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Flooding selection tool no longer works

I'm new to Affinity and there's a lot to like, however I'm on new IPad Pro and I'm getting a fair amount of freeze and lag when I'm working on a simple command like moving a layer?

Also a couple of the selection tools no longer do anything? The flood selection was working and I was just starting to get used to it and yet now it fails to respond to any number of taps or adjustments to tolerance? It does nothing .........also the colour sample tool below, now does nothing? Yes I have closed Affinity down and restarted it, no change? bit disappointed with this

its not a cheap app and without these selection tools it feels like stepping back in time to early photoshop? I hope I'm doing something really dumb and someone can indicate my error because I'd rather that than this anticipated purchase to become a laborious chore with unacceptable bugs of this kind?

• Staff

Hi pompeyroyal,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

There tools only work with Pixel layers. Check the label over the layers name (in smaller font size) in the Layer's Studio. You are probably trying to apply them to Image layers. These type of layers are created when you place an image in an existing document (using the Place command in Photo Persona) and are considered object layers. They retail all original image data/quality so you can resize/transform them without losing quality but they can't be edited at a pixel level directly. To do that you have to convert them to Pixel layers. To do this select the Image layer you want to convert in the Layers Studio and go to menu More in Photo Persona (the three dots on the top of the interface) then select Rasterise ▸ Rasterise. You should then be able to edit them as you see fit.

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi Ajay,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Besides assuring you are working with a Pixel layer (check my post above yours), check the selected Mode in the context toolbar on bottom - if it's set to subtract for example it may look the tool isn't working since you don't have a selection already to subtract from - change it to New and it should work as expected. Also make sure you don't have the Tolerance (on the context toolbar on bottom as well) set to 0%.

• 5 months later...

@MEB thanks so much, this has helped me out heaps. It seems to me that I have to select a specific image layer and then select ‘rasterise’ from persona context menu. Otherwise nothing will be rasterised or every layer will be rasterised.

I’m often still a bit confused as to the inconsistency in behaviour that a lot of the tools and functions seem to exhibit. But I suppose it’s just that I don’t yet have a solid understanding of the processes.