You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Arctic China

Konspaul

I'm asking for critique:

This work is a cover for a research plan document. The painting should represend arctic, China and also illustrate how the art is going to be present in the research.

Translating the headline:

Great nation

Great change

How environment is used and build in the world after the rise of China

Pohjoinen Spektri kansi lohikäärmeellä ja tulella.png

An interesting art style. The mix of photo and illustration works well. (I'm assuming that the iceberg and sea are from a photo and haven't been drawn in Affinity. If they have then they're absolutely fantastic work.)

I have a few comments from a personal view but I'm not an artist so feel free to ignore them:

If some of the red text could be "bent" round some of the ice it would add a really nice touch. It would look more like the man has been painting it on rather than it just being overlaid.

The dragon is great but I get the feeling that it's too much "in the background". I think it would look better if the background was darker and the dragon was larger, maybe with part of it behind the iceberg so that it looked more a part of the overall composition rather than a separate item.

Have you tried making the dragon a bit more, I'm going to say "neon" for want of a better word? If the dragon looked like it was using energy and giving off light it might work better with the environmental theme. A bit like this: http://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/photo/bright-neon-signs-colourful-crowded-cityscape-royalty-free-image/470027170

It's just that the dragon seems to be a bit "lost" in the background and might benefit from being more prominent. It's great artwork so why hide it away at the back?

As I said, I'm not an artist so I might be wrong about everything I've said above so don't worry about doing anything about it. I certainly couldn't come up with anything as nice as you have done so there's no need for you to listen to what I've said. My comments are just what has come into my head and doing anything along these lines might not make things better.

All in all, it's really nice work and I wish I could make something like it.

I like you mixed style. The only input I have is I feel like the dragon could benefit from a bit more color. when I think of China I think of Red and Gold. When I think of Dragons I think of color. Maybe the addition of clouds would help integrated the dragon more into the scene. Also, I not sure where the light source is coming from with the varied highlights and shadows in the scene. Also, may the sky could benefit from a bit of gradient. I mean I think your image looks good but these are just a few things I would play with to bring a bit more dimension to the art.

here  some color reference that feels more China like 

NIce work though!

Thank you for your critique. It is good and very needed. 

On 9/14/2017 at 10:46 AM, GarryP said:

An interesting art style. The mix of photo and illustration works well. (I'm assuming that the iceberg and sea are from a photo and haven't been drawn in Affinity. If they have then they're absolutely fantastic work.)

The iceberg is indeed a photo. It is from unsplash.com https://unsplash.com/photos/XeY4y17Q4fc

As both of you said the dragon needed to come brighter. I added more colors and depth to the object. I also created sky and pushed back the ship so it would not take so much interest. Also I fixed the faces of the men. The composition is made under Fibonacci spiral. Please see the latest work and also the fibonacci overlay.

7 hours ago, ronniemcbride said:

Also, I not sure where the light source is coming from with the varied highlights and shadows in the scene.

I have not painted for a long time and this was my return to painting. Didn't think of the light source at all as I was struggling with many other things :D Next time I will take light source into consideration.

On 9/14/2017 at 10:46 AM, GarryP said:

As I said, I'm not an artist so I might be wrong about everything I've said above so don't worry about doing anything about it. I certainly couldn't come up with anything as nice as you have done so there's no need for you to listen to what I've said. My comments are just what has come into my head and doing anything along these lines might not make things better.

If I may say that you don't need to add this at the end of your critique. If an artist is asking a critique he/she should be ready to take it. And the one who gives the critique should be giving a honest message. It doesn't matter are you an artist or not. This painting I made is for all eyes to see and everyone might have something to say about it which most likely is also a true opinion. I value your words. Please don't say you are wrong about everything. You were as right as one can possible be.

Have a nice weekend.

Pohjoinen spektri Kone hakemus kansi 10.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-09-15 at 12.55.46.png