You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.6 - Beta 9)

• Staff

Purpose: New features, fixes

Requirements: Purchased Affinity Designer

Mac App Store: Not Submitted

Download: Here

This beta version represents a substantial change to our codebase and as much as we have tried to ensure the quality of the code, it should be considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that may be adversely affected by the application failing. In addition it is definitely worth noting that files created in Affinity 1.6 may not open in 1.5 so always make a copy of your important documents before opening them in 1.6 to ensure you do not accidentally overwrite them and are unable to open them in your 1.5 version.

To use this beta, simply download the file from the link given above and double-click on the file to open the installer. Follow the instructions to install the beta version. The beta sits alongside the Mac App Store version and will not interfere with it.

Fixes/Improvements:

• Improvements to Metal view mode - performance and reliability, also reduced flickering when moving artboards
  • Fix for incompatibility with OS X Mavericks or earlier
  • Fix for 'ghost' text objects found when moving text after typing it
  • Fix for nudging the selection with the arrow keys and pressing Escape causing the selected items to revert back to their original location
  • Fix for grid visibility issues in the Metal view mode
  • Fix for path text handles not responding to mouse interaction
  • Fix for rotating via Transform panel in the Node Tool not responding correctly if the user dragged the 'R:' label
  • Fix for occasional incorrect results from Outline layer effect
  • OpenType improvements
  • Better support for fonts which the system is unhappy with (if they have a 'name' table error, we may still work now)
  • SVG and PDF export improvements
  • Fixed issue seen after choosing 'Retina view mode: High Quality (Slowest)' in preferences
  • Assets panel should now remember its expanded state between application sessions
  • 'Find in Layers Panel' should now activate the Layers panel if it was not active
  • Miscellaneous other fixes and tweaks

13 minutes ago, MBd said:

@MBd Have you tried Visual Studio Code - https://code.visualstudio.com.  This editor has some strong compelling features including in-build debugging, source code management, task management and a healthy extension ecosystem if you don't mind a Microsoft product.

• Staff

Hi Gladany,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Affinity Designer 1.6 does support Mavericks. I'm not sure to which issue Matt is referring here (possibly to something related with the current trials not running on Mavericks or some issue with previous Betas) but 1.6 will run on Mavericks.

• Staff
17 minutes ago, Oval said:

Double-click on a handle of a single-segment straight line still results into something like a non-existent curve

I've reported this now, however when you report bugs can you try to avoid reporting them in the announcement thread please, as it is easy to miss them because of the cross talk. I couldn't see you reporting this in a separate thread (I could be wrong though)!

On ‎13‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 2:55 PM, Nana said:

@MBd Have you tried Visual Studio Code - https://code.visualstudio.com.  This editor has some strong compelling features including in-build debugging, source code management, task management and a healthy extension ecosystem if you don't mind a Microsoft product.

actually a lot similar discussions compared to affinity 

pricing/ new design/ speed/ capability/ David vs Goliath company/ roadmap insecurities (although twisted in some aspects)

yeah seems like a legit environment especially for js other than that sublime/ jetbrains/ vim does not leave much to be desired but personal preference but I did not want to brake the same discussion as the ones in the reddit thread  :D just happened that I like both affinity and sublime and the release was a coincidence 

btw I had somehow hoped to see AD iPad revealed yesterday but I guess there was not much of an opportunity without new iPads (which was not to be expected but anyway)

(iPad pricing increased in some countries btw)

@Nana looking forward to seeing your js affinity plugins hopefully someday https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/27043-what-programming-language-is-affinity-designer-written-in/?p=131150

Where are the configuration files located, so I can port them to beta? I installed this version and it has all the default settings.

thx!

(tried searching forum for configuration file, settings file, etc, but couldn't find anything)

2 hours ago, Sean P said:

I've reported this now, however when you report bugs can you try to avoid reporting them in the announcement thread please, as it is easy to miss them because of the cross talk.

This is news to me as well. I wondered about posting bugs in the beta topics verses the section itself, and it looks like I and many others didn't understand where to post them.

OOPSIES!

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

12 minutes ago, Bri-Toon said:

This is news to me as well. I wondered about posting bugs in the beta topics verses the section itself, and it looks like I and many others didn't understand where to post them.

OOPSIES!

This is because there are no instructions for this forum.

• Staff

FWIW, I'm easy on the subject - I'm happy for reports here or in the parent sub-forum, but it sounds like QA would find it easier if they were posted individually in the parent to this thread :)

Let me know if there are any performance funnies or if things seem okay - I made quite a large change to Metal view mode in response to an odd find on 27" 5k iMac and I need to know how people are finding it now... :/ 

Thanks everyone! :)

Matt

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Let me know if there are any performance funnies or if things seem okay - I made quite a large change to Metal view mode in response to an odd find on 27" 5k iMac and I need to know how people are finding it now... :/

To test this accordingly, where can I find Metal view mode?

Something I did pickup on right away is that pixel selections have a slightly new look.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

1 hour ago, MattP said:

FWIW, I'm easy on the subject - I'm happy for reports here or in the parent sub-forum, but it sounds like QA would find it easier if they were posted individually in the parent to this thread :)

Thanks everyone! :)

Matt

Hi Matt,

Many thanks for new beta! 

All is Ok on 27" 5k iMac, Metal view mode. Working about 4 hours, great performance and see no issues at all! Extremely happy!

• Staff
9 minutes ago, abarkalo said:

Tested Beta 9 today on my 30 artboard layout.  In Beta 8 it worked well but there was white glitchiness and text ghosting and often my MacBook fan got loud.  Not with this beta 9 puppy!  Great work all around.  

Woohooo! That's great to hear! Let me know if you see any other issues and we'll try to get them sorted :)

Hey Matt,

Since you're happy for reports here, I guess I'll just report a bug I found here. Clicking the parent layer of nested objects changes the color of other parent layers underneath. I don't mean the nested objects; I mean all other layers under it.

20170914114833(1).mov

Edit: Another strange little glitch. I think it might be related to clipping pixels. However, in this video, I deleted the pixel clip, and the problem still occurred.

20170914115755(1).mov

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.