You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta (1.6 - Beta 9)

• Staff
36 minutes ago, Inkwell said:

Are the betas still working with OS 10.7.5? Is there any plans to drop that system in regard to Designer?

Lion should work just fine - if it weren't for the fact that we've got a bug in this Beta that breaks it! :( We've already got this fixed and I'll update the Beta tomorrow (hopefully) so you'll be able to use it again :)

17 hours ago, MattP said:

Woohooo! That's great to hear! Let me know if you see any other issues and we'll try to get them sorted :)

Matt - the only feature I would really love is some way to locate missing fonts in a document.  It is so time consuming to check every embedded document, every layer on a very big multi-artboard for that missing font in the haystack. Sometimes I update a font in my system (for instance LT to Pro) and then some itsy bitsy embedded design is using the old font. Ideally, I would love to have a system like InDesign Preflight - which points you to the error in the document.  You guys already go to the layer when selecting on the document, so something like this.

Alternatively - and maybe an easier way to do it and based on something you already do - is to notify on missing fonts when opening the document.  Currently, a pop up message notifies on missing fonts, but that's it.  But consider that when you open/convert a PDF, you do get a list of missing fonts and then have the ability to change the fonts to something else right then and there.  Can something like this be put in place for Affinity documents, not just for converted documents?

It feels like we are approching the Golden Master, aren’t we? :)

Regarding artboards, it would be *lovely* if you were able to fix the pixel preview of these for the next App Store version. It is really hard to do icon sets without being able to use the pixel preview consistently. I don’t know how widespread this issue is, but on my machine it doesn’t work … :/

• Staff
54 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

Regarding artboards, it would be *lovely* if you were able to fix the pixel preview of these for the next App Store version. It is really hard to do icon sets without being able to use the pixel preview consistently. I don’t know how widespread this issue is, but on my machine it doesn’t work … :/

To make the artboards render correctly in pixel preview mode, it's currently necessary to make sure your artboards are aligned to whole pixels. Creating new artboards does auto-align them to pixels now, but you can then manipulate them to make them off-pixel... I know this is a pain and I will fix it in the future - but it requires the document to be drawn aligned for each artboard whereas at present we are aligned for the document and draw each artboard into it, so it's a fairly dangerous change to make at this point... We're definitely going to focus on stabilising things  (constraints and symbols in particular) now...

• Staff
2 hours ago, A_B_C said:

This is already fixed in the Beta when running on Sierra/High Sierra with Metal. Are you using OpenGL?

Feeling ashamed, but yes, I am still running OpenGL … :(

So this isn’t exactly a problem of pixel-alignment. Under OpenGL it doesn’t work with pixel-aligned artboards as well. Simply create a new document, say 16 by 16 pixels (to render things more obvious), select the Artboard tool, don’t touch the artboard, but click Insert Artboard from the context toolbar. Now the artboard should be perfectly pixel-aligned. However, when you select Pixel View Mode, you will see what happens.

Aligned.png.758b203b2a118ce464bbccfe2d7343be.png

• Staff
4 minutes ago, A_B_C said:

Feeling ashamed, but yes, I am still running OpenGL … :(

So this isn’t exactly a problem of pixel-alignment. Under OpenGL it doesn’t work with pixel-aligned artboards as well. Simply create a new document, say 16 by 16 pixels (to render things more obvious), select the Artboard tool, don’t touch the artboard, but click Insert Artboard from the context toolbar. Now the artboard should be perfectly pixel-aligned. However, when you select Pixel View Mode, you will see what happens.

Aligned.png.758b203b2a118ce464bbccfe2d7343be.png

This issue was resolved for the Metal view and also for Windows. Our OpenGL view would take quite a bit of work to fix and with Metal being the default view going forwards (it's automatically selected in Sierra and High Sierra) then I thought this wouldn't be too much of an issue... I'm happy to consider it though if it's going to be an issue?

• Staff
22 hours ago, Bri-Toon said:

Hey Matt,

Since you're happy for reports here, I guess I'll just report a bug I found here. Clicking the parent layer of nested objects changes the color of other parent layers underneath. I don't mean the nested objects; I mean all other layers under it.

20170914114833(1).mov

Edit: Another strange little glitch. I think it might be related to clipping pixels. However, in this video, I deleted the pixel clip, and the problem still occurred.

20170914115755(1).mov

Hi Bri-Toon,

Would you be able to send me the file shown in your videos please?

2 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Hi Bri-Toon,

Would you be able to send me the file shown in your videos please?

Sure thing. I'll send you a message. Thanks.

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

Never mind. I realized I can't attach new files through messages. Here it is.

12.afdesign

The website is still a work in progress. The "Comics" and "Shop" sections are not yet ready. Feel free to connect with me and let me know what you like or what can be improved. You can contact me here, on my contact page, YouTube channel, or Twitter account. Thanks and have a great day!

I know that something similar happens in masks and that is by design, but in that first "Color" layer, I don't understand what might be causing that to happen. I have another file (13.afdesign) with the same setup, and changing the color of the Color layer changes only the layer.

13.afdesign

• Staff

Hi Bri-Toon,
To what weird issue are you referring exactly in your 12.design file? What's happening is that the pixel layer that's inside that Color layer is also being being filled with the selected color from the Colors panel. If you move it to below the Color layer as in your 13.afdesign file it will work as you want (only the character will be filled with colour).

pixel_layer_inside_colour_layer.jpg

Edit:

Wait a minute! I didn't see that screenshot MEB attached as I totally missed I had a pixel layer hidden in there. If I delete the pixel and then change the color, it works fine. Oh dang. Thank you for your patience and assistance, guys. Some times, it can be tough seeing where an issue falls.

Sorry for the confusion. Here is a clearer example of the comparison between 12 and 13. 20170915131647(1).mov

Changing the color layer in 12 changes the color of the whole document, whereas changing the color layer of 13 changes the color of the layer. The result in 12 is the issue.

Originally, I suspected that the pixel layer that was clipped in the Color layer of 12 may have been messing something up, so I decided to just delete it. However, it is still happening. The pixel layer in 13 was just a rough sketch for tracing over with the vector tools. I purposely did not clip that layer.

On 9/14/2017 at 0:12 PM, MattP said:

Lion should work just fine - if it weren't for the fact that we've got a bug in this Beta that breaks it! :( We've already got this fixed and I'll update the Beta tomorrow (hopefully) so you'll be able to use it again :)

Yes I was into it today and it seemed like command-Z (undo) was not working. Going back to 1.5 I miss the light user interface right away.

General Design Projects:

www.astroluxdesign.com

Interactive Infographics:

www.factualform.com

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.