You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Request: How to create a top-down forest effect? (example inside)

I'd like to create something like this in Designer. (I don't currently own Affinity Photo or have much experience with non-vector based software. However, if these effects can only be achieved in a photo editing program, that would be good to know too.) The example image shows a seamless repeating pattern, but mine does not need to be tile-able.

Any techniques, tips, or tools you can recommend? Tutorials I should check out?

Thanks much!

top-down forest example.png

For the Top-Down Forest Effect you could just sample part of your current image, (or another one) save it as a PNG file

then create a custom brush from the PNG file and add a bit of Rotation Jitter to create a random pattern when you paint.

PS Not sure if you wanted to know how to also create the hexagonal grid or not.

forest.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thanks for the tip, carl! I've never thought much about full-color brushes before.

I ended up making my own full-color texture using Stuart_R's amazing Organic Texture Brushes. (See it below.) I ended up with enough coverage that I did not need to make a new brush out of it.

greenery art.png