You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Missing Stuff

Hi,

I am a Gimp User as some know and I have here some things I miss.

Settings - Keybinds & Search

HyPLCv5.jpg

I have a search but the search is useless.... if I am at the keyboard shortcuts and wanna search the one tool to change, I get back to this overview. The search is complete useless. I don't need a search for this overview.

6l5fEpY.jpg

It is so easy in Gimp, can we not get it here too? As example I like to click F for the free select. I just work always with that. But in Affinity it say:

qPg1TsI.jpg

The key is already used for a other function, but I have no idea where that tool is, because the settings is complete overloaded, I need a list where I select the stuff, it is pretty hard to find the right thing.

Now I can not use F for freehand.

Airbrush?

_________

Where is my Airbrush?

I only have a normal brush.

eyOu4D4.jpg

In Gimp I have arbrush seperate to the normal brush, so I can with my shortcuts easy switch.

lywYQMT.jpg

I like to have my Airbrush set special, with smooth flow and my normal brush for a hard and clear painting. In Affinity I need to switch the brush layout and change it complicated.

BTW:
jdGk8I5.jpg

I changed from German to English to show you the images in English, but this dropdownmenu is still in German, just as feedback ;)

Selection Tool

Gimp version:

MFXBePs.jpg

865GefN.gif

I can make a field and then change the size at all these points, the blue ones coming out if I move my mouse to that location.

In Affinity I can make a field and move it up/down/left/right thats all, I can not change the size, I can only change the position.

Enough so far for the beginning.

I am still using the Testversion (10days) but I think I will buy it in a few months (I just bought a PS4, no money :D ). So I hope you improve it in the future and I can feel more home in Affinity like I feel in Gimp.

Greetings

Dracken

If you understand something not correct, I can explain it in German. Just ask :)

I did just after reading ;)

And yes I dont need a Mask, but... that is not the way I want, i need with your way other steps. I want it like in Gimp that I can simply use the already excisting field to change the size. Not some other ways.

If you understand something not correct, I can explain it in German. Just ask :)

Howdy, 

F is for the Liquify Freeze Tool. If you go to the Keyboard Shortcuts and choose Liquify, then Tools from those menus and the Liquify Freeze Tool is the first one in the list. Just click on the X to remove the shortcut for that and now you can use F for your Freehand Selection Tool.

In terms of the Airbrush, and having a separate icon, that is just something you will have to deal with. We are all coming from other image editing software. Be it Photoshop CC, Photoshop Elements, Gimp, PaintShop Pro, Pixelmator, Acorn, Sumo Paint, etc. You could probably make a list of 20 programs. It would be impossible for Serif to make everybody happy, to make the transition from each one of those programs be seamless and pain free, it would be a fool's errand.

The best they can do is be true to themselves and make decisions on how they want their program to be. I can't speak for you but for me that is perfectly acceptable. The responsibility is on me to learn the program, to learn how Serif approaches things and to learn new workflows. 

Getting back to your Airbrush/Hard Brush workflow, just make a new brush category. Name it whatever you want, then add two new brushes to it and edit those two brushes. Name one Airbrush and save it with the settings you want, and name one Hard Brush and edit and save those settings. Then I would take the Brush tab and pull it out so that it is in its own window. Then as you paint you can select which brush you want Airbrush or Hard. You can even open the edit Brush window and leave it open and off to the side as you are painting and make changes to a brush while you are using it. Take advantage of modifying the interface, move panels and tabs around, find a way of working in Affinity Photo that works for you. 

I guess I just feel like Serif and Photo should not be held hostage because they don't do things this way or that way. It is almost like most of us have been brainwashed coming from these other programs and we fight it, which is natural I suppose. 

4 hours ago, Scungio said:

Howdy, 

F is for the Liquify Freeze Tool. If you go to the Keyboard Shortcuts and choose Liquify, then Tools from those menus and the Liquify Freeze Tool is the first one in the list. Just click on the X to remove the shortcut for that and now you can use F for your Freehand Selection Tool.

In terms of the Airbrush, and having a separate icon, that is just something you will have to deal with. We are all coming from other image editing software. Be it Photoshop CC, Photoshop Elements, Gimp, PaintShop Pro, Pixelmator, Acorn, Sumo Paint, etc. You could probably make a list of 20 programs. It would be impossible for Serif to make everybody happy, to make the transition from each one of those programs be seamless and pain free, it would be a fool's errand.

The best they can do is be true to themselves and make decisions on how they want their program to be. I can't speak for you but for me that is perfectly acceptable. The responsibility is on me to learn the program, to learn how Serif approaches things and to learn new workflows. 

Getting back to your Airbrush/Hard Brush workflow, just make a new brush category. Name it whatever you want, then add two new brushes to it and edit those two brushes. Name one Airbrush and save it with the settings you want, and name one Hard Brush and edit and save those settings. Then I would take the Brush tab and pull it out so that it is in its own window. Then as you paint you can select which brush you want Airbrush or Hard. You can even open the edit Brush window and leave it open and off to the side as you are painting and make changes to a brush while you are using it. Take advantage of modifying the interface, move panels and tabs around, find a way of working in Affinity Photo that works for you. 

I guess I just feel like Serif and Photo should not be held hostage because they don't do things this way or that way. It is almost like most of us have been brainwashed coming from these other programs and we fight it, which is natural I suppose. 

Thanks for the help, but some stuff I miss should really be added :) Like the improved Search and a better change of the selector.

Maybe they could also add the option if you change a key that is already used, that you get a popup if you wanna delete the old key, so I do not have to search it.

And My Win10 just got killed, I did now install Win7 Pro, because Win10 did crashed the OS 2x this year, and now I am rid of it. So I need to install the Affinity Trial again and yeah maybe in 1-2 Months I can buy the Software. There are no Special deals to make it cheaper? :D (I'm a boy with less money T_T).

I hear you about the sales, but take heart, Serif is pretty good at offering sales throughout the year. Back in June they had a 20% off sale for Photo, the Designer Workbook recently had a sale where it was 40% off. Just be sure to check here on the forums and follow them on Facebook to take advantage of the sales when they are announced.

1 hour ago, Scungio said:

I hear you about the sales, but take heart, Serif is pretty good at offering sales throughout the year. Back in June they had a 20% off sale for Photo, the Designer Workbook recently had a sale where it was 40% off. Just be sure to check here on the forums and follow them on Facebook to take advantage of the sales when they are announced.

https://www.mydealz.de/search?q=Affinity+Photo

I found here some dealz, I did set a notification on it, maybe I will get some cheaper. maybe as Xmas deal (I don't celebrate it, but I like the deals^^).

• 2 weeks later...
On 13.9.2017 at 8:46 AM, Scungio said:

sadly that is not all <_<

It say "Frequenzebene" would say in English " frequency  Layer" on/off.

it is in Photo + last option "various".