You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

After working on an object in layer, I sometimes click a nearby object in the same layer and suddenly the former object is moved under the layer I have just clicked. This reminds me of an old Freehand feature. It seems random, but I know it must not be. Undoing this takes a a moment, but it becomes time consuming. Is this a feature in AD, and if so, can I turn it off?

I am using AD 1.5.5 on Mac, Sierra OS. It happens quite often but not consistently.

To be specific, I am editing an object in a sub-layer (seen below as "RIFT-Jordan ..." below a top layer, "SPRINGS" not seen below). When I select the adjoining object to edit, the formerly selected object moves under/within the newly selected object and both lose their blue thumbnail, although the outline can be seen in one of them (first attachment below taken at 11.23;04). I produced this now having just booted up my MacPro and loaded AD. Thus it should not be a matter of RAM memory or too many undos.

To return the object back to its former position I must undo a couple of times. This restores the thumbnail (the blue dot) to the formerly selected object but not to the newly selected object (second attachment below taken at 11.34.28). This thumbnail is never regenerated, even though the on-screen ellipse blue color has not changed. To restore this thumbnail I must reassign a color via swatches. Perhaps this is because the thumbnail now "thinks" its an "empty layer" rather than an object.

The following also might be relevant. I imported this doc from Illustrator over a year ago Since then have recreated these objects (from curves to ellipses) under newly created layers. Since then I've "saved as" this doc with a new name hundreds of times in AD and cannot imagine that some vestigial remain of Illustrator could survive that.

Thanks for any advice you can offer. 

Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 11.23.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2017-09-14 at 11.34.28 AM.png