You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Distributing Photo Customer Beta - 1.6.0.82

• Staff

RobN17,

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums. I have moved your post into it's own thread to ease this discussion which does not seem to be related to the beta build exactly.

The ability/options to distribute this software over a network is still being tested and will be official when 1.6.0 goes live.

As far as I know Serif have not released instructions as to how to distribute this beta software on a network, so I am not sure where you got the msi to redistribute, and I am not surprised it has not worked. Did you send off this crash report, as we cannot find it? Please can you tell me what you did to get the msi to try and distribute

Also, can you please confirm your use case? Serif can probably put together some real instructions for you to try for us, but the standard license for our software is a single user or machine in a business environment, so these instructions will only be given to corporate and school customers who buy the multi-user license.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, RobN17 said:

Photo installs fine however we get the attached error message

Hi, I can't find your crash reference, I assume the upload must have been blocked by a firewall or something? If you wait for the crash report dialog to appear, then look in the following folder:

%APPDATA%\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Beta)\CrashReports

And attach the crash report to this thread.

• Staff

Thanks RobN17, I see you are a corp customer, sorry. We will look into this for you.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

1 hour ago, RobN17 said:

Thanks for your replies.
The MSI came from the Affinity Photo Setup built into the .exe - There is a parameter there "/extract" which creates an MSI, allowing the licence details to be entered.
Our use is licensed to single machines, not users. I've attached the dmp file

575e33b2-2f45-4a67-aefc-d2ddc466a2cb.dmp

Thanks Rob. I've taken a look at the crash dump, and can see that it's crashing when trying to create the following directory:

C:\ProgramData\Affinity\Photo\1.0 (Beta)

This is to load Photoshop plugins. Obviously it shouldn't crash when the directory fails to create, so we'll have to fix that. But you probably need to allow access to that folder to support plugins. I'm sure you're probably aware, but the ProgramData directory is the new version of the "All Users" folder that used to exist.

Just now, RobN17 said:

Thanks for the information, I'll take a look at this. Is there a reason why the folder is created when the user loads the software and not during installation? 

Because normally a non-elevated user can write to this location, so there is no need for the installer to make the directory.

As it's only for loading Photoshop plugins, we should allow the creation of the folder to fail, without crashing, but for the time being, you might need to look at the permissions issue.

Thanks - By default we like to restrict access to as much as possible, especially on the C drive to avoid any security issues, I'd imagine other educational/business establishments will have similar restrictions, would it be possible for this folder to be created during installation in a future release?

• Staff
43 minutes ago, RobN17 said:

Thanks - By default we like to restrict access to as much as possible, especially on the C drive to avoid any security issues, I'd imagine other educational/business establishments will have similar restrictions, would it be possible for this folder to be created during installation in a future release?

Even if the folder did exist, the software would still need permission to write any files there, and therefore would fail with your unusual locked down permissions. We can and will avoid this problem, but this plugins file will still not be written there in your situation unless you consider changing the write permission rights to this shared location.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

25 minutes ago, RobN17 said:

Locking down access to folders which should be accessible to all users would probably be an unusual situation. According to Microsoft's own documentation:

This folder is used for application data that is not user specific.

And:

ProgramData specifies the path to the program-data folder (normally C:\ProgramData). Unlike the Program Files folder, this folder can be used by applications to store data for standard users, because it does not require elevated permissions.

So generally I would assume that this is an unusual thing to restrict access to.

On 13/09/2017 at 10:53 AM, RobN17 said:

Hi Rob, just to let you know, I've made a change that will allow you to keep the restrictions on the ProgramData folder. If the application fails to write there, it will re-direct to a sandboxed folder within the current user's AppData folder instead.

This will be available in the next beta.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.