You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Workbook - The Panther

I have been working my way through the Affinity Designer Workbook and loving the clarity with which it has been designed and laid out. However while attempting "The Panther" illustration I have found that the drawing paths have been very poorly explained. It is virtually impossible to determine what paths are joined and their shape because in the diagram on P:133 they are all the same colour. If the paths were pictured in different colours this would have been very straight forward. This needs to be clarified. Could a clarification diagram be posted on this forum please?

Hi, ThePepps,

Try this. Click on a layer in the layers panel, and use the menu command "View/Zoom to selection." The screen will be filled w. the selected curve. You can examine the nodes up close in that view. And you may then zoom out to see where the particular shape is within its surrounds. While you are at it, click the stoke box in the Context Bar, up along the top of the window, and select a different color. Maybe uncheck the background and face group layers to hide them from view so you can see just the panther body.

Hope this helps.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet

Hello, gdenby;

I am embarrassed to admit that the answer to my question was actually in the downloadable resource file. There is a file called "panther_02_geometricshapes". I only thought several hours later to double check the resources and found the file. I have attempted to delete my post, however it appears that has not worked. So I hope that this helps others that may be having difficulty with the line paths for this exercise. I re-coloured the line paths in the resource file for clarity and then it was very straight forward to draw them myself.

Thank you chaps. I got my book delivered today (smells gorgeous :x) downloading all the resource files in preparation of becoming a level 1 AD master.

The downloads are all there and look pretty straightforward and the book explains things so well (sure it emits a golden aura when opened).

Did a snoop in the files and everything is pretty straight forward step by step guide for me.

Thanks so much for a great book and all those people who went all out to create it. Free hugs for everyone :17_heart_eyes:

Did i mention how amazingly awesome this book smells

• 2 weeks later...

I recommend the file as well.  I was very proud of my nascent pen technique (I never could get it right in AI) but couldn't figure out why the lines swooped and flowed as they did, especially those outside the panther.  When I started to ink things in I found that where my lines started and stopped was not where the author thought they should be. As a result, my panther was a bit "patchy" - to say the least.  In our defense, I don't recall the premise for the lines to have been particularly well explained. The files are fine, but I wanted to attempt the projects with just the instructions.