You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have a photo of a church stained glass window that is distorted. The perspective tool/filter seems to be what I want. I have tried the Perspective tool from the LHS and the Live Perspective Filter. Each of these will show the perspective distortion on a grid to my satisfaction. However, I cannot get this perspective view to stick. What should I be doing? I have tried Mode Source and Mode Destination and clicking Apply when it is there, all to no avail.

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• Staff

Hi John Rostron,,
Go to menu Layer ▸ New Live Filter Layer ▸ Perspective Filter and set the Mode to Source. Drag the corner points of the perspective grid so they match the corners of the stained glass window. Set the Mode to Destination and adjust the corners points of the perspective grid to correct the perspective. The stained glass window will be adjusted accordingly.

Thanks, @MEB. I have tried to follow your instructions. I find that when I switch to Destination, there is not really anything there to change. The perspective seems to have been corrected by the Source pass. Having done that, my problem is how do I confirm the filter application. There is no Apply button. Pressing Enter or the top-right-cross does not apply the filter. One of my efforts resulted in Affinity hanging, then crashing. I have found that using the perspective icon in the toolbar (with an Apply button), it works about half the time, the other half, there is no change!

I have just downloaded the new Beta, but I notice there have been some problems with perspective in this. I will try it shortly.

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

• Staff
42 minutes ago, John Rostron said:

I find that when I switch to Destination, there is not really anything there to change.

Is the stained glass window filling almost the whole image? If so you will not see much difference between the two modes...

The Destination mode applies the perspective grid to the whole layer - and distorts the whole layer at once. It's only useful when you want to correct the image as whole (for example to correct the perspective of a building and all surrounded area). If you want to correct the perspective of just a single element on the whole image you have to switch to Source mode to define the area you want to be used as the base for the perspective correction - in this mode you can move the corners/handles of the perspective grid so they overlay just that specific element (for example you may want to straight up the license plate of a car that was photographed from 45º/or a paint in a wall and don't care about the rest of the surrounded areas). After you place the perspective overlay over the element you want to correct, switch to Destination mode (the perspective grid remains fixed over the element you placed it over) and adjust the grid to straight up the element/correct perspective. The rest of the image will be distorted but the element you wanted to fix/correct will be as you want.

Off course if the element you want to fix already fills the whole image you will barely see much difference between the two modes. Not sure if i'm being clear...

There's no Apply button for the Live Perspective filter. Since it's a non-destructive filter you can simply close the Live Perspective dialog and the image will remain corrected/fixed. If you want to make the change permanent, right-click on the image layer in the Layers panel and select Rasterise (assuming the Live Filter is nested to that layer). Rasterizing the layer will merge the image and the Perspective Live Filter. If the Perspective Live Filter layer is above the image layer in the Layers panel, right-click the filter layer and select Merge Down.

Thanks @MEB. I was perplexed as to the different usages for Source and Destination and your explanation makes it clear. For these windows, I wish them to be in context, so the windows occupy about half or more of the image area. I would thus be using Destination. I do crop to to give more space than this before rasterising and then applying transformations such as perspective.

I can see that I shall have to experiment with preserving the perspective transformation.

I cannot see any tutorials on this. Are there are any?

I do seem to have got the Perspective filter working OK. Thanks @MEB, for your assistance. I shall look at the tutorial. It would seem that Perspective mode is what I want anyway.

The Perspective Live filter in the new Beta fails. I will add my report in the Beta thread.