You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Request for Linear DNG Support

Hi,

I have a camera that produces DNG files (Sigma SD Quattro, and DP Quattro 0 camera).  These seem to load into a number of other iPad apps OK, but in Affinity although I can see the preview when I'm selecting DNG files from iCloud, when they load into Affinity Photo they are just all black.

The thing about the DNG files that I think is causing issues, is they are linear DNG files - OS X does not seem to handle these form of DNS files well either, as they are also all black in the Finder preview.  I was hoping you could somehow alter the code to load in these images to detect they are linear DNG files specifically and load them in differently than other kinds of DNG files. 

As a workaround I have been loading them into Lightroom and exporting TIFF files to bring into Affinity Photo, but I'd really like to move away from Lightroom completey and not loading in DNG files directly is a bit of a roadblock.

I have three examples in the DropBox folder linked below, the DNG files along with exported JPG versions from Lightroom so you can see what they are supposed to look like (the JPG files are slightly reduced in size but I can export them full size if needed, or provide other DNG examples).

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dn2t8vcyy54wike/AAARWjvRZqmUGUdocUZ2zzGIa?dl=0

• Staff

Hi KGelner,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Affinity Photo for iPad relies on iOS system level support - Apple (Core Image RAW) - to convert/process RAW's. The cameras you mentioned are not yet supported by iOS thus the black document you get when opening them in Affinity Photo. Other software might load them (like Lightroom) because they are using proprietary RAW decoders. Currently there's nothing we can do until Apple adds support for them on iOS (as far as i know there's no plans to integrate our own RAW engine in the iPad version on the short/medium term).

4 hours ago, MEB said:

Hi KGelner,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Affinity Photo for iPad relies on iOS system level support - Apple (Core Image RAW) - to convert/process RAW's. The cameras you mentioned are not yet supported by iOS thus the black document you get when opening them in Affinity Photo. Other software might load them (like Lightroom) because they are using proprietary RAW decoders. Currently there's nothing we can do until Apple adds support for them on iOS (as far as i know there's no plans to integrate our own RAW engine in the iPad version on the short/medium term).

I did know they were not supported by the system, that's why I mentioned the Finder angle - but I was hoping you could add in a module to specifically load Linear DNG files, so you could fully support DNG (for all other cameras that produce files in that format).  

However one aspect of strangeness to this is that I can see the photo previews just find in the iCloud image picker (on iOS11) that led me to wonder if there was some limited system support that Affinity is not making use of.

The other apps I used were not even Lightroom so some other apps are supporting this... 

I'll submit a ticket to Apple as well.