You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have several shots taken late at night however sometimes the shots are ruined by a big bright street lights or a lamp of some sort. To crop them out would, in most cases, be useless so is there a way I can soften or dim the brightness down a little I was thinking of using a gradient, but perhaps there are other ways to tackle the problem any ideas hints or tips would go a long, long way ~ Fanks!

If the lights are blown out/ too bright then there is no way of recovering them other than taking the photo again with lowered exposure.

the file has lost/ clipped the information of pixels that are very bright and thus there is no way of lowering them other than just fading them into grey which looks awful. 

Maybe read up on this on some website 

keyword "raw/ clipping/ overexposed"

cheers  

Thanks for your reply MBd but the lights in question are not 'Blow Out' they are just a bit too bright for my liking & so, I want to dim or defuse them in some way so as they are no so harsh.  They look good in the image but because they are a little bit too bright your eye is drawn to that all the time. 

On 11/09/2017 at 9:59 PM, Digbydo said:

Thanks for your reply MBd but the lights in question are not 'Blow Out' they are just a bit too bright for my liking & so, I want to dim or defuse them in some way so as they are no so harsh.  They look good in the image but because they are a little bit too bright your eye is drawn to that all the time. 

Have you tried the Shadows/Highlights adjustment ?

Just turn the highlights down a bit.

Windows PCs. Photo and Designer, latest non-beta versions.

Possibly also adding a colour tone to the lights (and what is lit). Or changing your thinking and making a feature of the light.

Bright and even blown lights offer interesting creative challenges.

Dave Straker

Cameras: Sony A7R2, RX100V

Computers: Win10: Chillblast i9 Custom + Philips 40in 4K & Benq 23in; Surface Pro 4 i5; iPad Pro 11"

Favourite word: Aha. For me and for others.