You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

how to do overprinting of spot white but not other layers

Hi, I'm working on a project that has a selective white undercoat, then a graphics (image layer) background texture, and then text / lines on top.  I want the text/lines to 'knock out' the graphics image but not the white undercoat.  If I set the 'overprint' option on the text color, then it doesn't cut out the graphics layer, but if I don't set it, then it knocks both the graphics and the white undercoat.  Is there some way e.g. to set the 'image' to also get knocked out, or some other easy way to do this?

Thanks.

-Mike

Hi, thanks for the response.  Not quite either one of those, though possibly the 'cutout' version could be made to work by having a colors layer under the graphics layer.  I'm wanting to have the text be 'normal' on top of the graphics image (which it normally would do, nothing special, e.g. be its color and 'knock out' the graphics) except that I want it to not 'knock out' the white spot color areas underneath them all. 

Hi, thanks again for looking into this.  I did just finally figure it out:  The trick is to put the layer that has the undercoat pattern on the very top, set it to a Spot Color, and set it to Overprint.  It makes it a bit tricky to edit things and see what you're getting (you have to hide the layer for most editing, then turn it on before exporting). (It was accidentally sort of working sometimes with it at the bottom, so that misled me for a while). (the 'effect' I need is not an effect per se, superficially it just looks like a solid color on top of a graphics pattern; the trick is getting a white spot-color undercoat under certain parts of it).

Thanks again!

-Mike