Delineated

Liquify Pinch/Punch Tools reversed

When inside the Liquify Persona and using the Pinch or Punch tool - the effect is correctly applied while inside the Liquify Persona, but as soon as the changes are applied – the effect is reversed as if the opposite tool was used instead – if something in the preview was "pinched", after applying the effect the result would become "punched" and vice-versa.

Affinity Photo 1.5.2 on Mac, but has been happening for quite a while, possibly since many versions ago.

Hi Delineated,
Are you saying that as soon as you click 'Apply' the look completely change? I've just tried this myself and it appears to be working correctly.  Are you able to do a screen recording using QuickTime to show what is happening. Could you also attach the image you are using as well please?

Thanks.

Hi Sean,

I'll need to do a little more investigating as the issue can't be reproduced with every image - I tried a bunch from the internet and none seem to show the issue.

I think the issue may be related to images taken with an iPhone, specifically my iPhone 7's front (selfie) camera as most of my selfies manage to trigger the issue every single time, however I'd prefer not to upload my personal photos. I think the iPhone may be incorrectly rotating/flipping the images somehow when using the front camera which could be contributing to the issue.

However, while testing, I managed to find a separate issue with some images where the Pinch/Punch tools aren't reversed, but instead the Twirl/Pinch tools are mixed - i.e when using Twirl it applies the Pinch effect and the other way around in the preview, but this one actually saves exactly how it displays in the preview after clicking "Apply" - so it's not reversing the effect after applying like the original issue that I described.

I'll update the topic once I have more time to test and more data.

Thanks for getting back to me - if you do happen to have reproducible steps and a specific image let me know and i'll get it passed on.

The separate issue you mention is a known issue and is caused by the EXIF information rotating the image when you open it (generally on portrait images), which I do wonder could be causing the first!

Hi Sean,

Indeed it is the EXIF information that's the culprit in both liquify issue #1 (pinch/punch mixup) and liquify issue #2 (twirl/pinch mixup).

I took 2 images with the front iPhone camera - one landscape and one portrait. The landscape image triggers issue #1 and the portrait image triggers issue #2. After removing the EXIF metadata of the images with ImageOptim - the images change their rotation/orientation from the originals and Liquify in Affinity works as expected.

Attached is an archive containing videos showing how to reproduce the issues and also the original photos as well as the photos with the removed metadata.

Thank you.

Affinity_Liquify_EXIF_Bug.zip