You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello!

I am new to Affinity photo, and lots to learn. For now I would like to understand why I can not transfer RAW files directly from lightroom to Affinity photo.. For now the only way I found is to open Affinity -file-open go to image folders find the picture I want to process, which is disturbing since i have at least 200 pictures to process in many different folders. I would like to mention that I have no problems transferring  jpg files. 

thank You for your time

• Staff

Hi Mlap,

Welcome to the forums.

You can setup Affinity Photo as an external editor in Lightroom under Preferences > External Editing. Once this has been setup you can right click an image and select Edit In and select the preset you created for Affinity Photo. However with RAW files, a copy of the file will be opened in Affinity and it's usually a TIF.

3 hours ago, Lee D said:

Hi Mlap,

Welcome to the forums.

You can setup Affinity Photo as an external editor in Lightroom under Preferences > External Editing. Once this has been setup you can right click an image and select Edit In and select the preset you created for Affinity Photo. However with RAW files, a copy of the file will be opened in Affinity and it's usually a TIF.

Thank you Lee D for your response.

I easily transfer TIFF and JPG from Lightroom to Affinity. I am no expert, but I think TIFF are not as manageable as RAW files, even though TIFF are much better than JPG. Is there another way to transfer RAW  or DNG files from Lightroom to Affinity?

Thank you!

3 hours ago, Mlap said:

I am no expert, but I think TIFF are not as manageable as RAW files, even though TIFF are much better than JPG.

It is actually more nearly the opposite. RAW files contain the raw data (thus the name) needed to create a viewable image but that data must be processed first before there is anything to view. This is usually called "developing" the file because it is sort of like how photographic film needs to be developed before an image appears. The Wikipedia "Raw image format" article includes this section that describes the various operations that may be required.

Making this much more difficult, there is no "standard" RAW format -- each camera manufacturer develops its own formats, often different ones for different camera models.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

THank you all for your response.

My ultimate goal was to use Lightroom as an image editor and use Affinity for everything else. that seems impossible so I will continue to process my files in Lightroom and use Affinity for more artistic reason. I also understand that the develop persona is useless unless it is  the only software at hand.

When Lightroom transfers a raw file to an external editing (as a tiff), it first applies any adjustments you have previously made which would be stored in the sidecar file (the xmp file). Thus Lightroom has developed the raw file before transfer.-

2 hours ago, Mlap said:

My ultimate goal was to use Lightroom as an image editor and use Affinity for everything else. 

Most Affinity/Lightroom users would us Lightroomas a DAM (digital asset manager) and/or raw devloper, and use Affinity for image editing.

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

11 hours ago, Mlap said:

THank you all for your response.

My ultimate goal was to use Lightroom as an image editor and use Affinity for everything else. that seems impossible so I will continue to process my files in Lightroom and use Affinity for more artistic reason. I also understand that the develop persona is useless unless it is  the only software at hand.

Greetings Mlap

I, and eight others, are currently transitioning from Photoshop Elements to Affinity.   Two of us, me included, use Lightroom as well.  What I am doing as part of the transition, is to right-click in Lightroom and choose to edit the image either in Affinity or Elements (having previously identified my preferences).  This is great, as it helps me in my journey.  I am being brief here, but if I can contribute more then please respond a bit more with your concerns.  What you want to do is certainly achieveable!

Jafa - Just Another Fantastic Aucklander

(Jim)

Windows 11

Affinity Photo 2.4

Lightroom 6

Nik Collection and Topaz Denoise AI

Intel Core i7 9700K @ 3.60GHz    32 °C
Coffee Lake 14nm Technology