You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sorry to impose upon you all but reading through the forum trying to make sense of what I'm running into is making my eyes glaze over...

I purchased Affinity Designer (AD) back when it went from its "beta" version to the "non-beta" version.  I opened the program yesterday and it kept crashing - I sent two crash reports - and when it didn't crash the program just locked up and I had to use the task manager to end the program...

As recommended via the forum I downloaded and installed the latest "beta" version of AD - 1.6.x.xx - but that program won't run because it is telling me "Invalid Product Key"...!

I'm no computer whiz but shouldn't there be some line of code in the "beta" version to read the product key from my existing old "non-beta" version...?  Or at least, shouldn't there be some sort of dialog box during the install of the "beta" version asking me for the product key...?

If all the above is listed somewhere in the forum, feel free to send me the link to it so I can see how to fix this problem to get this "beta" version working so I can get back to the business of creating instead of wrenching on a "beta" program to get it to work...

Thank you for your time...

"...life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..." john lennon

Uninstalled the beta 1.6.x.xx - just could not get it to work... >:(  Cleaned the registry, rebooted the computer...  AD, and I'm not sure why, is now working without locking up [he says knocking on wood] so far...  Also, when my version - 1.5.3.69 - starts it does not indicate that there is a new version... Hopefully, when all the dust settles regarding the non-functioning beta 1.6.x.xx, Serif will be sending out notices that the new version non-beta of version 1.6.x.xx is stable and now available for download and, yes, it will read the product key from the installed version 1.5.3.69 without any glitches... :)

"...life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans..." john lennon

14 hours ago, ScootCoot said:

Uninstalled the beta 1.6.x.xx - just could not get it to work... >:(  Cleaned the registry, rebooted the computer...  AD, and I'm not sure why, is now working without locking up [he says knocking on wood] so far...  Also, when my version - 1.5.3.69 - starts it does not indicate that there is a new version... Hopefully, when all the dust settles regarding the non-functioning beta 1.6.x.xx, Serif will be sending out notices that the new version non-beta of version 1.6.x.xx is stable and now available for download and, yes, it will read the product key from the installed version 1.5.3.69 without any glitches... :)

That's exactly how it works.

Since the Beta versions are not good for production environments, Serif doesn't encourage to usi it that way, so, it's an optional download for us, and you can have both versions at the same time.

Anyway, you can report bugs here on the forum. The Dev Team is doing the best they can on their never ending Bug-Hunt.

Best regards!

Thanks, Mithferion - appreciate your input... Yes, I know that's how it works and, no, I don't use beta versions for production work... ;)  My current [stable] version seems to be working well now... I'm thinking the day the program locked up on me, another program may have been running in the background - a program using a lot of memory...

And, just as an observance, every once in a while, when online, the Google Chrome browser stops responding - everything stops and the HDD light glows steadily; no mouse pointer, nothing works... Once the HDD light starts blinking and staying off for longer periods, that's when Chrome starts working again and the mouse pointer returns...  Now, whether that has anything to do with why my AD program kept locking up and not responding, I haven't a clue...