You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Problem merging Raw files with HDR

Hi, I'm a new user of Affinity Photo. I read up and believe this is the app for me to use with my iPad Pro. I do property photography and use the bracketing technique, so I rely heavily on HDR. I've spent hours watching the video tutorials for the app and desktop and then began the practical side. I've got RAW photos in my iCloud (nothing else at present), I began the HDR  process of selecting 6 photos, which went into the preview box, but as soon as the actual HDR merge began the app crashed and turned off. Tried it again using different numbers of photos, same issue every time. I tried jpeg pictures and that worked, but it won't complete HDR with RAW photos! Can anyone help?

thanks

Darren

Hi, firstly sorry for the delay....... I've figured out the error, my laptop was converting the raw files for a different program. I changed it and no further issues now. However,  maybe you can advise me on another dilemma?

My previous set up was remove sd card from my camera and straight into my laptop. Edit etc then email to client. Everything was then stored in my knowhow cloud account and backed up in the laptop. 

My laptop is not hd, so I needed something with a better screen resolution. I can't afford a 4K laptop so I was also looking into different software and found Affinity Photo and thought get an iPad Pro (256gb) to use for editing and use the laptop for storing photos as a back up and family stuff. 

So my knowhow cloud account has a massive memory. I've got apple iCloud, with 5gb, but can upgrade it to 200gb. So I thought take photos, remove card, upload to laptop to send to knowhow, thinking I could draw from the iPad to do what I needed to. Then back to knowhow for storing and sharing. AP doesn't recognise knowhow, only iCloud. Clearly this a long winded approach (and a long winded tale) and I need to be as efficient as possible. I've literally got the iPad a couple of days ago and haven't even got round to getting an sd card reader cable for it yet!!!!

So considering my set up what's the most efficient way of uploading/downloading/storing and sharing with clients?

Thanks again 

Darren

If you want a single cloud provider for both platforms then you would need to consider something like iCloud, Box, Dropbox etc.

If you want to retain the KnowHow cloud as part of the process then you could use that with your Laptop purely as a backup for all the original photos. You can also upload the photos directly from the SD card onto the iPad and work with the photos locally in Affinity Photo and then share these to one of the other cloud providers to share or plug your iPad into the Laptop and copy the photos directly to the Laptop. A little long winded but at least it lets you utilise your existing KnowHow cloud for archiving and the iPad for editing.

• Staff

Hi Darren,

I can't really give you a solid advice at this point. With all changes coming with iOS11 including a new Files app to browse files on iPad, cloud service providers changing/updating their API's to conform to iOS11 and the changes/improvements being done to our iPad app  (which is still quite recent), it's not yet clear (at least for me) what would be the best workflow for quite a few situations. One thing I'm sure is we will always support iCloud as it's the service that's integrated with Apple OS's and the rest of the Apple ecosystem. Third party cloud services are dependent on their API's and how well they integrate with iOS so they may not be the most obvious choice to work directly with unless you want to use them for backup/storage purposes only.