You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD crashes when opening restored files

With the latest Beta I get a strange behaviour. When I double click the icon to start AD once the window is fully visible I see for a short moment a messagebox prompting me if it should restore a recovery file (I'm not sure about the wording because it is visible for only a very short moment). Then AD crashes and vanishes.

If I CTRL+double click the icon to start AD I get the option to not 'Restore Window and Documents'. Once I tick only this option AD opens fine with a blank window.

The funny thing is that when I close AD and start it again with double click the program again offers to restore a recovery file.

How can we get around this? I assume there is some recovery file somewhere located that I could delete?

Thanks!

d.

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M
iPad pro 9.7" + Apple Pencil

• Staff

Hi Dominik,
I've just tried this myself and I can't get it to crash. It could be down to a broken autosave. 

Could you try going to %appdata%\Affinity\Designer\1.0 (Beta)\ and rename the autosave folder and then try to open the app.

If this does work could you zip up a copy of the autosave folder for us to investigate, and any files you think relate to that autosave.

Thanks

4 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Hi Dominik,
I've just tried this myself and I can't get it to crash. It could be down to a broken autosave. 

Could you try going to %appdata%\Affinity\Designer\1.0 (Beta)\ and rename the autosave folder and then try to open the app.

If this does work could you zip up a copy of the autosave folder for us to investigate, and any files you think relate to that autosave.

Thanks

Hi Sean P,

thanks for the hint where to find the autosaved files.

When I first checked the autosave folder there was a file with a date from yesterday. Then I renamed the folder to 'autosave.bak' and AD started without a problem. So this did the trick.

But when I afterwards again looked into the 'autosave.bak' folder the file with yesterday's date had vanished.

Anyway, I append this folder and the CrashReports folder as well.

Good luck.

d.

testing 14.afdesign

autosave.bak.zip

CrashReports.zip

Affinity Designer 1 & 2   |   Affinity Photo 1 & 2   |   Affinity Publisher 1 & 2
Affinity Designer 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Photo 2 for iPad   |   Affinity Publisher 2 for iPad

Windows 11 64-bit - Core i7 - 16GB - Intel HD Graphics 4600 & NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

• Staff
1 hour ago, dominik said:

Hi Sean P,

thanks for the hint where to find the autosaved files.

When I first checked the autosave folder there was a file with a date from yesterday. Then I renamed the folder to 'autosave.bak' and AD started without a problem. So this did the trick.

But when I afterwards again looked into the 'autosave.bak' folder the file with yesterday's date had vanished.

Anyway, I append this folder and the CrashReports folder as well.

Good luck.

d.

testing 14.afdesign

autosave.bak.zip

CrashReports.zip

Thanks for the files, unfortunately I've not been able to reproduce it using the file left in there - which I presume wasn't the one causing it to crash.

46 minutes ago, Sean P said:

which I presume wasn't the one causing it to crash.

Too bad. I have no idea how a file in a renamed directory could been deleted. Maybe AD my way of renaming the directory to 'autosave.bak' was not 'renaming enough'? ;)

I looked in the waste bin but the file is not there.

Let's see if I come across the crash again and I come back.

d.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.