You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sloth "Paper Cut" Diorama

Figmatt

This is reproduction of an original paper cut diorama by Václav Bícha

http://strictlypaper.com/blog/2016/07/whimsical-layered-paper-cut-animal-illustrations-by-vaclav-bicha/

It's not perfect but it's a first draft.

Happy to accept recommendations of a better way to achieve this look?

How would you go about it? Is that different to how I've gone about it?

Maybe it would be better for me to group the objects into different depths, each with a different z-order and drop shadow?

attachment:

Paper Cut Sloth Diorama.afdesign

export.png

1 hour ago, matt said:

This is reproduction of an original paper cut diorama by Václav Bícha

http://strictlypaper.com/blog/2016/07/whimsical-layered-paper-cut-animal-illustrations-by-vaclav-bicha/

It's not perfect but it's a first draft.

What am I missing, Matt? Apart from the baby which is currently absent, it looks pretty good to me!

Thanks for the link.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

It looks excellent to me just as it is, but I would be interested to see the changes you are thinking about implemented. I prefer your version without the baby. I think the baby just unnecessarily complicates the composition.

Thank you for sharing your image and the original paper cut diorama.

Well I'm sort of OCD about details.

In this version, the branch is casting too much shadow on the arm (compared to the original).

A few tweaks later and I now have something closer to the original, with less shadow on the arm.

Screen Shot 2017-09-07 at 15.02.29.png

Trying to figure out the best (most optimal) way to layer and manage the objects is the challenge for me.

But it does look good already, I agree! I just want to see if I can make it perfect.

I think it looked awesome as it was. What a great illustration, looks utterly wonderful and perfect in my eyes!

George

eejits: a curious collection o' creatures - www.eejits-online.co.uk 

SUPPORT eejits on PATREON. Exclusive Content & Rewards available! www.patreon.com/eejits

Get some awesome unique eejits merchandise at https://www.eejits-online.co.uk/shop

• 9 months later...

Well I'm sort of OCD about details.

That is an ALMOST PERFECT  REPLICA.    I would not be too concerned about the EXACT DETAILS.  What I would expect someone to be  Pedantic on details, would be their OWN design.   I prefer Your  'replica' to the original. I also look forward to seeing Originals of your work! I am just starting to study this 'paper cutout' form in Affinity  considering I cannot use any of the Photoshop kits you can get.. HINT; to advanced users! Ribbon embroidery, embroidery, stitch-craft paper-craft and Plasticine  design kits are  for AFFINITY is what I desire. I am TRYING...very badly.. to create them myself  but so much t learn and I am NOT a trained designer...   I'd give you a FULL 10/10 for this design!!!