Duncro

Drag select keeps selecting a single item

Hi

Love the software, but I am struggling to get this to work consistently.

As stated in the help:

• With the Move Tool selected, drag to draw a marquee around the object(s).*

I try to drag select items on the canvas but it keeps grabbing the first item under the cursor and dragging it along instead of creating a marquee.

Only way I get this to work is to lock an item and then dragging from there, or start from outside the drawing area.

Am I doing something wrong or is this normal?

Hi Duncro and Welcome to the Forums,

This is normal.  Drag to select only works by creating the Marquee, so if you start dragging outside of an object you should see the Marquee.   If you have some items stacked on top of each other, like a background and then some shapes for example, it may be easier to Shift+click the items you want to select together than drawing out a marquee which may also select the background as well as the shapes, unless you lock the background.

11 hours ago, Duncro said:

I try to drag select items on the canvas but it keeps grabbing the first item under the cursor and dragging it along instead of creating a marquee.

There is a non-obvious two step way to avoid this:

1. With the Move Tool selected, make sure no layer is selected. (A quick way to do this is to tap the escape key.)

2. Press & hold the Alt/Option key & then drag out the marquee.

If you do not do step one, as you probably know you will duplicate & drag the layer if the Alt/Option key is held down. This can be much more annoying than unintentionally dragging the layer because it takes two undos to correct -- one to undo the move (the "transform" step in the history panel) & another to undo the duplicate. It is easy to overlook that, do a single undo, & end up with multiple duplicate layers stacked on top of each other.

The Selecting Objects help topic is not at all clear about this. This is the closest I could find to any mention of using the Alt/Option key for this:

59b11cf4640f4_selectingobjectsModifierkeyhelp.png.83d758a5349f5522ed7ec13338391e05.png

Affinity Photo 1.7.2, Affinity Designer 1.7.2, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2; macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 iMac (27-inch, Late 2012); 2.9GHz i5 CPU; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660M; 8GB RAM
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.153 & Affinity Designer 1.7.2.6 for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iOS 12.3.1