You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Resizing causing pixallation

Hi all,

I've read the tutorials and also a previous thread on this topic but still have not found an answer.

I wish to resize a PNG file for use on a website - decreasing the dpi from 521px to 85px in size. It's something I do a lot in photoshop but I'm fairly new to Affinity.

The problem is that the resize is completely pixallated (see attached). It's not the Nearest Neighbour problem as I have checked that I am resizing to the best quality and nothing to do with the view. Can anybody help me please?

Thanks

mountains-with-moon.jpg

• Staff

Hi AnyaB,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

If you are resizing the image on export you have to select an appropriate Resample algorithm from the resample dropdown. Try using Bicubic or Lanczos 3 (separable) and check if you get a better result. Note that since the output size you need/want is quite small (just 85px), even the best resample algorithms may not give a perfect result but should improve what you already have.

For cases like this (small images, text, icons etc) it may be preferable to create/draw them at the intended output size, that is, creating a document with just 85px in your case and drawing them with the vector tools setting the View Mode to Pixels in the View menu so you can control/view the exact output you will get when you export the file (without resizing obviously).

Hi MEB,

Many thanks for your response. I'd tried all the different algorithms from the dropdowns and none of them make any difference to the quality. It's something that I do regularly in photoshop (including with the same set of icons) but I guess that this is not an option with Affinity unless you can think of anything else I could be doing wrong.

On 6. September 2017 at 10:41 PM, AnyaB said:

tried all the different algorithms from the dropdowns and none of them make any difference

AnyaB, the different algorithms result in different qualities:

333.png.ee90733830040bc4cf61cc4b19c13ca3.png  Could be better, but this is a different point. [The small rectangle shows the scaling ratio.]

mount-ps.png.e0496db6da00c8164b2d3d604876fbd4.png  a PS result for comparison

So it is still very unclear what you expect from such small high contrast pictures. But bigger sizes, the use as a font or just lower contrasts would possibly help in that unclear case.

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.