You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD and AP cannot open 130MB eps

I have already posted this issue in the "Bugs" forum but didn't get a reply and I don't know where to turn to, so excuse me that I try again.

My problem: I tried to open an big 127MB eps-stock image (Yeah! I know... it's not big... it's a freakin' monster! :$) but both AD and AP crashed. I really think that AD/AP do have an issue with the size because meanwhile, I had someone else try to open it on his PC and the programs crashed as well. Additionally, I never had a problem with opening said eps-file in Photoshop.

If the file is needed I'd prefer to send it via pm and not posting it here since I paid for it. ;)

Working with Win10, 64bit, i7

• 2 months later...

I'm sorry but I have to open this topic again.

Even the updated versions of AP and AD still can't open the file, while it takes Adobe Illustrator about two or three seconds(!). No lie!
I bought a new NB lately (16 RAM, 256 SSD, Nvidia GeForce 940MX 2 GB, i7) but the result is just the same. While writing this I'm waiting for the file to open in AD on my NB. AD tells me since one(!) hour it's loading a file.

Is there any chance that this is going to change in the foreseeable future? I don't like to be at Adobe's mercy. ;)

A pity that I can't access that file... am really curious, as have not experienced anything like that with AD.....

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

• Staff

Hi Plan_B,

An update on this: the file is indeed taking quite a lot of time opening on our app but it also does the same on third party apps with the exception of Adobe Illustrator which opens the embedded ai data inside the EPS rather than the EPS data itself (it's also the reason why it's able to keep the contents of EPS files fully editable).

One way to work around this is to open the file in Illustrator and save it as an Ai file with Create PDF compatible file checked. Then open the file in Affinity Designer. It should open in a couple minutes.

6 hours ago, MEB said:

One way to work around this is to open the file in Illustrator and save it as an Ai file with Create PDF compatible file checked. Then open the file in Affinity Designer. It should open in a couple minutes.

O.o Are you just telling me I cannot cancel my Adobe suscription because there is no solution for this problem? Seriously???

31 minutes ago, Plan_B said:

O.o Are you just telling me I cannot cancel my Adobe suscription because there is no solution for this problem? Seriously???

#BecauseAdobe

=/

12 minutes ago, Plan_B said:

Unless you want everyone buying a Serif product that is paying royalties to get access to the Adobe proprietary code, yes. Alternatively, convert as many of your files as possible as fast as you can to a non-proprietary format open standard format.

This sort of thing has been a problem for generations. Any work done on a computer may not only require continued use of the same hardware, but also the same software if the hardware and software is a proprietary design. Not only must one support the manufacturers, but also hope they stay in business so that all of one's work isn't lost. Serif/Affinity plays nice. It exports in the publicly available .pdf format, and the open standard .svg.

iMac 27" Retina, c. 2015: OS X 10.11.5: 3.3 GHz I c-5: 32 Gb,  AMD Radeon R9 M290 2048 Mb

iPad 12.9" Retina, iOS 10, 512 Gb, Apple pencil

Huion WH1409 tablet