You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta - 1.6.0.82

Yes, a new installation should automatically switch when choosing cmyk. Once set properly I have not had it switch back.

Bigger issue to me is the so called gray swatches. They are rgb builds, even if using a cmyk document. Those too ought to switch to K percentages. This is also rectifiable by making ones own swatches and replacing the as-shipped ones as I have done.

Affinity show CMYK Black (0,0,0,100) as GRAY in my monitor. This is BAD! It appear like RGB 35,31,32.

I would very much like Affinity to display CMYK 0,0,0,100 with the same shade of black that I see on printed paper

Look at the pictures below. I did rather a comparison of Affinity with Adobe Illustrator.

If Adobe Illustrator can show black CMYK 0,0,0,100 as pure black, why can not Affinity do the same?

Please do not come up with a suggestion to use Soft Proof. That crap does not work properly!

ILLUSTRATOR.png

AFFINITY.png

100% k does look like a very dark gray on a calibrated monitor. Adobe's default setting for how 100% black displays, though, is to make it appear as a rich black and this setting doesn't affect output by default. 

What you need to do is to put in a feature request for the same type of effect.

As regards how it prints, most all consumer printers enhance black output and actually add in some cmy.

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

Yes, a new installation should automatically switch when choosing cmyk. Once set properly I have not had it switch back.

I have fresh installations of both the 1.5.3.69 retail version and the 1.6.0.82 beta build here, and both automatically switch to 'Percentage' when I choose CMYK (or HSL or Greyscale).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

I have fresh installations of both the 1.5.3.69 retail version and the 1.6.0.82 beta build here, and both automatically switch to 'Percentage' when I choose CMYK (or HSL or Greyscale).

Perhaps it was fixed then. It wasn't early on and it was needed...and I have never cleared my preferences and just assumed the setting stuck.

Doesn't solve the gray swatches, though...

5 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Doesn't solve the gray swatches, though...

No, indeed it does not. :(

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• Staff
16 hours ago, vjsouza said:

Affinity show CMYK Black (0,0,0,100) as GRAY in my monitor. This is BAD! It appear like RGB 35,31,32.

I would very much like Affinity to display CMYK 0,0,0,100 with the same shade of black that I see on printed paper

Look at the pictures below. I did rather a comparison of Affinity with Adobe Illustrator.

If Adobe Illustrator can show black CMYK 0,0,0,100 as pure black, why can not Affinity do the same?

Please do not come up with a suggestion to use Soft Proof. That crap does not work properly!

Hi vjsouza,
This is actually by design. What Illustrator shows by default is 'Rich Black'. If you take a look into your Illustrator preferences you have an option called 'Appearance of Black' and allows you to set it to appear as 100K Black (as Designer) or Rich Black. See screenshot below. If you wish to see an option like this in Designer then please feel free to add this into Feature Requests. :)

AIOptions.png

AIOptions2.png

Symbols not working properly here. I create a symbol, and make an instance ot it. Layer effects synchronise okay but giving it a flat colour or outline don't synchronise. Resizing object doesn't synchronise but I'm not sure if this is meant to.  Mick

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

• Staff

Hi MickRose,

Transforms (like scaling) are not synchronised between symbols by design. You may want to use the same symbol with different sizes on a project (a logo for example). To synchronise transforms like scale changes, apply them to the contents of the symbol and not to the symbol layer itself.

If you mouse-over the symbol layer in the Layers panel until a tooltip appears you will see that transforms are an unlinked attribute for all symbols you create.

Regarding Colour overlays and Outline layer effects, they should synchronise between symbols/instances. This may be a bug. I will check it out.