You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta - 1.6.0.82

It may not be the font per se. You should provide a test document and the font to Serif, but also include your printer info.

It prints directly to 3 various printers here, but they are wired printers. 

So does the pdf look correct? Are you using any particular OpenType features so I can test the same?

New issue in Affinity Designer beta 1.6.0.82 - changing font styles in documents cause the program to lock up. I was updating a document by selecting some text and wanted to change the style to the selected text when after applying the changes Affinity Designer locked up on me. I didn't even get a chance to save my work before this happened. All my work for the session was lost.

• Staff
5 hours ago, MikeW said:

It may not be the font per se. You should provide a test document and the font to Serif, but also include your printer info.

Mike is spot on! Are you able to upload and send us a link to both the font and the document you are trying to print along with the printer info as well? If you don't wish to make it public, please PM me with a link to them.

Thanks

• Staff
3 hours ago, HagensWatch said:

New issue in Affinity Designer beta 1.6.0.82 - changing font styles in documents cause the program to lock up. I was updating a document by selecting some text and wanted to change the style to the selected text when after applying the changes Affinity Designer locked up on me. I didn't even get a chance to save my work before this happened. All my work for the session was lost.

By changing font style do you mean front Normal to Bold, or Bold to Italic etc? Or are you referring to changing the Text Styles as seen in the Text Style Panel?

I've tried both of these myself with no crashing whatsoever. Are you able to replicate the problem on a new document? Or is it only reproducible when you use a specific document? If it is the latter could you attach that please?

Also please bear in mind that these beta releases are designed to find and iron out bugs before we release them to the store. This warning is given in the first post of this thread:

This is a beta of a substantial change to our codebase and as much as we have tried to ensure the quality of the code, it is considered to be not suitable for production use. This means that you should not attempt to use it for commercial purposes or for any other activity that you may be adversely affected by the application failing. 

• Staff
On 9/18/2017 at 1:21 AM, adi_cataleya said:

copy paste AD 1.5 to inkscape ----> fine

copy paste AD 1.6 to inkscape ----> inkcsape eror:(

Hi adi_cataleya,

You've replied to this but instead of doing a reply you've reported the post (reports are generally for letting us know if a user has posted something inappropriate etc).

Looking at the animated GIF I can see you're pasting an item that doesn't have a fill. When this is pasted into Inkscape it will get pasted as a Raster image with transparency. It looks as though you are clicking on areas of transparency so Inkscape is ignoring that. If you zoom in a bit further (or drag a box around the entire shape) you should be able to click an area where there is pixel data to select it.

6 hours ago, Sean P said:

By changing font style do you mean front Normal to Bold, or Bold to Italic etc? Or are you referring to changing the Text Styles as seen in the Text Style Panel?

I've tried both of these myself with no crashing whatsoever. Are you able to replicate the problem on a new document? Or is it only reproducible when you use a specific document? If it is the latter could you attach that please?

Also please bear in mind that these beta releases are designed to find and iron out bugs before we release them to the store. This warning is given in the first post of this thread:

Actually what I'm doing is changing the text to different text styles within the same document. For example...one text sample is bold, the other is italic, the other is thin italic, etc. So multiple text styles in one document and this doesn't have to be the same document. This is simply a document that has no name and wasn't saved before the crash. However, when I restarted Affinity Designer it notified me about a recovery of the document that crashed. So I clicked on it and this opens up a blank document which didn't show any text which I was working on. 

4 hours ago, HagensWatch said:

Actually what I'm doing is changing the text to different text styles within the same document. For example...one text sample is bold, the other is italic, the other is thin italic, etc. So multiple text styles in one document and this doesn't have to be the same document. This is simply a document that has no name and wasn't saved before the crash. However, when I restarted Affinity Designer it notified me about a recovery of the document that crashed. So I clicked on it and this opens up a blank document which didn't show any text which I was working on.

Like @MikeW, I bought and downloaded the font, and I also find that it both prints and exports to PDF without issues. As Mike said, you should provide a test document.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

8 minutes ago, MikeW said:

Personally, I find forums where there are potential font issues expensive to visit...

Not if they're on sale. You have to look for those. Normally the prices on many of these special deals would cost in the hundreds of US dollars. But well known font sites do have regular sales of many font families. You have to be sharp-eyed and look for them.

Hi HW, yeah, mostly written tongue-in-cheek. 

I just use that as an excuse (one of many) to feed the font habit. Heck, if the moon is in the right phase, I see that as a good enough reason.

I am an equal opportunity font purchaser. Though a sans has to be unique to my eye. I have a love affair with script fonts, though. I may purchase a font because of a single, beautiful character. 

1 hour ago, MikeW said:
1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Like @MikeW, I bought and downloaded the font...

Personally, I find forums where there are potential font issues expensive to visit...

Like @MikeW, I personally find forums where there are potential font issues expensive to visit... :P

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

I just use that as an excuse (one of many) to feed the font habit.

Do we really need an excuse?? :o

Alfred spacer.png

Rhetorical question, Alfred? 

I need excuses for most of my guilty pleasures. Fonts less so, though. I budget for them like I do golf. And seeing how my golfing is near nonexistent these days, the font budget is larger. 

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

Hi HW, yeah, mostly written tongue-in-cheek. 

I just use that as an excuse (one of many) to feed the font habit. Heck, if the moon is in the right phase, I see that as a good enough reason.

I am an equal opportunity font purchaser. Though a sans has to be unique to my eye. I have a love affair with script fonts, though. I may purchase a font because of a single, beautiful character. 

Check out The Glamz on myfonts.com. Beautiful script font. Fell in love with this and bought it pronto.

1 hour ago, MikeW said:

Rhetorical question, Alfred?

Rhetorical question, Mike?

45 minutes ago, HagensWatch said:

Check out The Glamz on myfonts.com. Beautiful script font. Fell in love with this and bought it pronto.

I've just discovered that it's #38 on this liststirthepot.gif

Alfred spacer.png

This customer beta have the SAME BUG of all versions.

If I copy/paste a style, this replaces values different than the source. This error does not occur in Adobe Photoshop.

Please, see the attached file and follow the history inside them.

The small object was the source of style. It have a 3D Layer effect with radius of 15 pixels. Then, I select it and copy it and select the medium object and do Edit/Paste FX. Now, 3D Layer effect radius of medium object is not the same as the small object source, but is 27,9px. I repeat this procedure to Large Object, and the 3D Layer radius is 44.4px.
This strange behavior occur with almost all effects, such as shadows, bevel/emboss, etc.

This is not the first time I've reported this bug.

I keep thinking here ... How long will the SERIF staff keep this BUG uncorrected?

BUG Copy-Paste Effects does not preserve original values.afdesign

54 minutes ago, HagensWatch said:

New bug found in Affinity Designer 1.6.0.82 - font styles are appearing twice in the character listing for fonts installed. Regular, Regular, Bold, Bold, Italic, Italic - I double checked and this is happening after installing new fonts.

Doesn't happen here. Perhaps a reboot is in order.

What font(s)? All, some?

6 hours ago, ObsidianDog said:

I see that strange and distracting 'flickering lines' still happen when manipulating nodes in latest beta version. Is the plan to fix this during the v1.6 development cycle?

Pen Tool Flickering.wmv

It's still on my list of things to fix, but I can't say at what point it will be done. As it's not causing a crash, loss of data, or a reduction in user productivity, it's priority is lower than other issues. I do plan on fixing it though, as like you say, it can be distracting.

10 hours ago, MikeW said:

Doesn't happen here. Perhaps a reboot is in order.

What font(s)? All, some?

Some. Not all of them get this. And yes, I rebooted the application and also checked my font manager to be sure.  But I've discovered a new problem...Designer "forgets" the favorite fonts I tagged as "favorites". I'm finding it doesn't remember the fonts I selected for the favorites section because when I search for my favorite font to use...I can tell it's not getting listed. So I have to make Designer "remember" that font by retagging the typeface again. This needs a fix. 

Why do not you want to place a copy in another or new document, or a part of it.
or work with two documts, if necessary, next to each other or in the sign smaller at the bottom of the bar
is this possible to build in the program that did happen in draw x8.
Riek / Jac This is translated from Dutch to English in Google