You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta - 1.6.0.82

• Staff
13 hours ago, grapher said:

to the symbols bug - i was able to make the bug happen again and again :)

steps - with artboard tool alt-drag the first artboard UP, then with move tool double click inside and inside and inside the cookie. After you will be on the last pixel layer, try to move it via mouse.

Thanks for the file! I've reproduced it with that - I'll get it passed onto development.

I agree with you all; the Windows version does have tons of bugs and problems, but it's not unusable. I switched from Xara Designer (after 20+ years) to Affinity Designer and I don't regret it because it is a modern tool with lots of potential. However I hardly ever use constraints, symbols, artboards, export formats etc. without working around several bugs and the occasional crash. It all depends on the way you use it, I think. I made some illustrations with AD some time ago and I don't recall having any major problems. Anyway, I believe the devs are quite right in focusing on solving the problems before adding more features (and potentially more bugs). Just my 2 cents.

1 hour ago, rubs said:

I agree with you all; the Windows version does have tons of bugs and problems, but it's not unusable. I switched from Xara Designer (after 20+ years) to Affinity Designer and I don't regret it because it is a modern tool with lots of potential. However I hardly ever use constraints, symbols, artboards, export formats etc. without working around several bugs and the occasional crash. It all depends on the way you use it, I think. I made some illustrations with AD some time ago and I don't recall having any major problems. Anyway, I believe the devs are quite right in focusing on solving the problems before adding more features (and potentially more bugs). Just my 2 cents.

I am also already full of anticipation and want to finally start to use the program without the need to think about any possible bugs, but it is a complete new young program.

Currently I don't fear the bugs, because everybody can see that there are constant updates and fixes, so there is not the feeling that one would need to wait a year for the next fixed version. Not only that, the affinity team is explaining how things should be working and even telling what someone does wrong, I really appreciate this.

Additionally the (small) community is so good in hunting and reporting bugs.

System                                                              Notebook Lenovo P50

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900x                              CPU: Intel i7-6700HQ

RAM: 64 GB                                                   RAM: 32 GB

GPU: RTX 3080 TI                                         GPU: NVIDIA Quadro M2000M 4 GB

SSD: Samsung 980 PRO 1 TB                       SSD: Samsung 850 Pro 500GB

OS: Windows 11 Edu x64                               OS: Windows 10 x64

TFT: 1 x Samsung C49RG94SSU                  TFT: 2 x Lenovo

On 12.9.2017 at 3:13 PM, JohaWeber said:

Render AND export bug: Take a look at the stroke-panel in attached file "bug-1-screencap.jpg" - expected the space inside the letters to be filled. Seems like they're not only properly rendered but also not properly computed because the problems persist on export (see "bug-1-export.jpg").

And then there is this strange stroke render bug on different zoom levels.

bug-1-export.jpgbug-1-screencap.PNGbug-1-screencap-not-behind-fill.PNGbug-2-4000%.PNGbug-2-5120%.PNGbug-2-2620%.PNGbug-2-3300%.PNG

Edit: Using a nVidia Graphics Card and the Windows-Scaling is set to 125% on the used Monitor.

Any info on this one? Do you need further files/data/information?

• Staff

7 hours ago, dcarvalho84 said:

There is something in the stable 1.5 version that's still happening in this one.

If you have some text and open the character panel the little arrows to increase/decrease the leading are not working at all, or i'm missing something? 

Good spot! I've reproduced this and will get it reported

• Staff
10 hours ago, JohaWeber said:

I'm going take a look into this now, but could I ask when you and other users report issues can you please create a separate thread for the issue please - They can get easily missed in this thread and generate a lot of cross talk making things harder to deal with.

• Staff
11 hours ago, JohaWeber said:

The issue is happening because your objects are too small to handle the 5px stroke, and they're being inverted and breaking down (you should notice this if you slowly scroll the stroke size slider. I believe there is an issue with development to look into improving this. Are you expecting the area to be solid black

2 minutes ago, Sean P said:

The issue is happening because your objects are too small to handle the 5px stroke, and they're being inverted and breaking down (you should notice this if you slowly scroll the stroke size slider. I believe there is an issue with development to look into improving this. Are you expecting the area to be solid black

Yes, absolutely - when dragging the handle (both directions) the free spaces inside are properly filled/rendered. Yes expected it to be solid black.

• Staff
7 minutes ago, JohaWeber said:

Yes, absolutely - when dragging the handle (both directions) the free spaces inside are properly filled/rendered. Yes expected it to be solid black.

Great! It has already been reported with development so I'll get it bumped for you. I also forgot to say I was unable to reproduce the rendering issue with different zoom levels. Any chance you could attach the file used as it could be specific to that file.

Thanks.

21 minutes ago, Sean P said:

Great! It has already been reported with development so I'll get it bumped for you. I also forgot to say I was unable to reproduce the rendering issue with different zoom levels. Any chance you could attach the file used as it could be specific to that file.

Thanks.

Damn - I knew it: Sorry, this version of the file no longer exists :( I'll try to reproduce it with a new file and get back to you ASAP!

Edit: got it! Seems like this bug only occurs when setting the stroke to "align to outside".

(Saved history with file to provide a better tracking of what I did - although the interesting actions are the last few)

bug-rendering-stroke-original.afdesign

Edited by JohaWeber
Could reproduce the file.

Snapshots

- they ignore global colors 

Steps to reproduce bug

- make square, one document palette, global color for square.
- take snapshot 1
- change global color to some new color

- make snapshot 2

- return to snapshot 1. Global color (in doc palette) will remain on snapshot 2 color, but all linked items will change color to the snapshot 1 color. But if you change again the color, they will respond to the change. 

--------------------

its a bit more bitchy in large document with colors setted in symbols, multiple artboards etc. the color changes in SOME of them, some remain on previous color. switching in many times lead to loss of slices and sometimes to crash. But, i cannot reproduce it in some easy way. But in result, its not usable feature yet.

I could send you again some document where it is more problematic, but its around 230MB and its client work, so i cannot post that in public.

Printing issue: Affinity Designer latest beta 1.6.0.82 will not print correctly. I typed some text using a purchased commercial font I installed and it seemed to work fine. But when I printed the document...

Affinity Designer refuses to print the entire text and dropped characters. To make sure I wasn't imagining this I exported as an EPS and imported it into an OLD program that shall remain nameless to protect from embarrassment to the Affinity Designer team *ahem* and printed the document from there. It printed perfectly. Bottom line...I cannot print reliably with this beta. I'm forced to export everything as an EPS before printing using a different program.

Oh..;as for that commercial font I purchased? It was called Gotcha from myfonts.com.  How's that for irony?

57 minutes ago, HagensWatch said:

Oh..;as for that commercial font I purchased? It was called Gotcha from myfonts.com.  How's that for irony?

Very good! :D

Does it export correctly to PDF? If so, you could simply print it from your favourite PDF viewer. Exporting to PDF is a useful part of the workflow, anyway, since it can often save you wasting paper and ink/toner on test prints.

Nice typeface, BTW. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

57 minutes ago, Alfred said:

Very good! :D

Does it export correctly to PDF? If so, you could simply print it from your favourite PDF viewer. Exporting to PDF is a useful part of the workflow, anyway, since it can often save you wasting paper and ink/toner on test prints.

Nice typeface, BTW. :)

I'm afraid not. Just tried saving as PDF and it won't even print correctly through PDF. This is too much.I can't even print correctly from this application. I'm forced to go back to my other program to do my work. The Affinity team needs to get their act together. How can I possibly rely on this program if I can't even print my documents with the characters I want? This needs a patch ASAP. Would anyone rely on a program that couldn't print their documents correctly? This is really bad. Until they address this issue I can't use Designer. This is a simple thing the program should be able to do without even thinking about it.

13 minutes ago, grapher said:

@Hagens: just as workaround, not solution - maybe you can outline the font to print it?

Well, I just did as you suggested and it works as a temporary workaround. But that's a lot of work just a print a simple document. I had to select the object. Convert to curves, expand the selection, and then ungroup the object. After I did all that it did print. But this is a really cumbersome workflow. I should just be able to print without doing all that preparation. 

• Staff
13 hours ago, adi_cataleya said:

copy paste AD 1.5 to inkscape ----> fine

copy paste AD 1.6 to inkscape ----> inkcsape eror:(

Are you using the same document when attempting to copy and paste? Would you be able to attach it, as I've tried pasting a simple shape and curve object with no issue.

On 9/16/2017 at 11:01 AM, HagensWatch said:

I'm afraid not. Just tried saving as PDF and it won't even print correctly through PDF. ...

If it appears correct in the PDF, it should print fine.

In any case, I bought and downloaded the font. Other than is typical of such fonts (way more points than needed) and errors in design, it prints just fine here, both directly and the PDF.

9 hours ago, MikeW said:

If it appears correct in the PDF, it should print fine.

In any case, I bought and downloaded the font. Other than is typical of such fonts (way more points than needed) and errors in design, it prints just fine here, both directly and the PDF.

Well, now that you have that font use it to test Affinity Designer's ability to print without converting to outlines. Because it won't print unless I hit Ctrl-Enter (shortcut for converting to outlines). It definitely drops characters when I tried printing. However, I do use a web service printer but I have no way of knowing if that's the cause of the problem. Except to say when I used it on a different program the characters printed perfectly. So I think there's definitely an issue with Designer printing vector curves.