You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Customer Beta - 1.6.0.82

3 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi JohaWeber,

Would you be able to attach your file shown in the screenshot please? As I'm not getting this myself - see below.

I don't have the test-file anymore. Sorry.

Strange... could not reproduce the bug so far...

@Sean P So I managed to reproduce the bug - you can see a video of the steps here: https://youtu.be/DjmO5g_Kmk8 Seems like this bug occurs only after adding another element. Which is the case most of the times (e.g. icon-set with multiple artboards and elements) I added all exported files and the project-file itself as seen in the video.

Untitled.jpg.c30f32099fbd1a9df3e7a42f944cb41a.jpgUntitled-2.jpg.154324b81ce5bca819020a22165609fd.jpgUntitled-3.jpg.83aa7b953ecf2df5c449feac2c90fb30.jpgUntitled-4.jpg.ec44f39355790303df5ddcb1aa2f809d.jpg

untitled.afdesign

Reporting :) after 2 days of very hard work on some web projects 

- rotate of selected points via mousebuttons is rotating around handles, not around some center. Only possibility is to add there value to the transform menu. If i use the handle for input, it jumps back to original value after clicking into the work
- weird save - i saved my work, and turned off my computer. Affinity asked me to save the work again - i better made new save and voila, after reboot, it had 0bytes.... whole day work could be lost :)

- problem that i have aswell with full version - im using 2 monitors - if they go to sleep, all windows on second monitor reset to first one. This is pain in the ass... at least give us possibility to restore windows to defined position, or did i miss something related to this problem?

Anyways, good job

and another bug - 

i have extremly simple symbol (synced) that includes curve layer with pixel layer. When i then alt drag the artboard that includes few copies of the symbol, the pixel layer jumps somewhere out of the curve scope (like +800px X and Y) :) . If i undo the action, designer fall and report a bug. When i manually open one of the instance of the symbol, i can move the pixel layer to its previous position instead of undo ...

• Staff
On 9/8/2017 at 7:01 PM, JohaWeber said:

@Sean P So I managed to reproduce the bug - you can see a video of the steps here: https://youtu.be/DjmO5g_Kmk8 Seems like this bug occurs only after adding another element. Which is the case most of the times (e.g. icon-set with multiple artboards and elements) I added all exported files and the project-file itself as seen in the video.

Untitled.jpg.c30f32099fbd1a9df3e7a42f944cb41a.jpgUntitled-2.jpg.154324b81ce5bca819020a22165609fd.jpgUntitled-3.jpg.83aa7b953ecf2df5c449feac2c90fb30.jpgUntitled-4.jpg.ec44f39355790303df5ddcb1aa2f809d.jpg

untitled.afdesign

Thanks for that - I've now reproduced the issue and will get it passed on to development!

20 hours ago, grapher said:

- problem that i have aswell with full version - im using 2 monitors - if they go to sleep, all windows on second monitor reset to first one. This is pain in the ass... at least give us possibility to restore windows to defined position, or did i miss something related to this problem?

Is this specific to Affinity Designer, or do all applications do this?

Just now, digital said:

Photoshop do this too, but PS has "Workspace" — it help restore position of windows.

OK, that doesn't sound like an Affinity Designer bug then. I had a very similar problem with my development machine here (when the second monitor went to sleep, all windows switched to primary monitor). I solved it by switching the order of the HDMI cables in the back of the machine (previously were using slots 3 & 4, fixed it by switching to slots 1 & 2).

3 hours ago, nezumi said:

You know they were not joking when saying about beta " not suitable for production use " ?

You're absolutely right - but I'm depending a lot on some stuff they only provide in v1.6. Due to the lack of some features and some other bugs v1.5 is not even usable for production use either. JMO.

• Staff
11 minutes ago, MickRose said:

Masking problem.  I place an image, draw a small circle over the image, drag the circle over the photo in the layers panel, the photo vanishes. Works okay in 1.5.3.69

Mick

Hi Mick just tried this myself, and it looks be correct. Does Zooming In or Out refresh to show the correct view? Would you be able to save the file after you've dragged the circle over please and attach it please?

29 minutes ago, MickRose said:

I've tried it again and its working. Maybe it was something I was doing.  If the problem comes back I'll send the file.

I've tried it. The photo vanishes when you apply any figure drawn with no fill. Masking works well with the default settings.

That must have been the problem - the mask needs a fill. 1.5 works like that too. Just found mout you can use the Vector Crop tool to move the image withing the mask. Its a shame the mask can't have an outline and a colour to make a proper frame for an image.

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

@Nezumi - well yes, i could understand that its not for production, but the production beta (no offense, but it is still beta in my eyes - looooots of bugs, missing features, long time promissed 1.6) is not working for me either ... see frequent freezing in designer. So my only possibility to use bought program is to use beta beta... So im saving each save in new file, but still, this is first time i lost 3 last saves :) - Ill test if further, these saves have +-215MB, still im at 1/4 of my normal count of artboards when designing web..... 

@JohaWeber @grapher - I get it, you have problems with 1.5 so you are hoping that 1.6 will fix it. I sure do too. But again - we should expect that from final build. We surely work on different things because I did a collection of surf board designs and whole line of sport supplements labels on Designer. All printed out and was produced without issues. So I guess "production ready" may or may not be true depends on what you are doing.

In any case - good luck to you guys! Lets hope 1.6 will bring much needed improvements.

Render AND export bug: Take a look at the stroke-panel in attached file "bug-1-screencap.jpg" - expected the space inside the letters to be filled. Seems like they're not only properly rendered but also not properly computed because the problems persist on export (see "bug-1-export.jpg").

And then there is this strange stroke render bug on different zoom levels.

bug-1-export.jpgbug-1-screencap.PNGbug-1-screencap-not-behind-fill.PNGbug-2-4000%.PNGbug-2-5120%.PNGbug-2-2620%.PNGbug-2-3300%.PNG

Edit: Using a nVidia Graphics Card and the Windows-Scaling is set to 125% on the used Monitor.

@nezumi from something that the developers call v1.5 without the "beta" appendix I really expect it to be a final build ready for production use (see semver.org). Yes sure a lot of stuff is realizable with it - but it's tedious and frustrating and for a final build too much crashes and bugs appeared in front of me... The bug fixing and updates for the beta is nonetheless quite astonishing - still I would be even happier if the v1.6 tag would be eventually appear on the master-branch (speaking in Git/VCS language)! But also: Quality needs time. You see I'm a bit torn back and forth :D

i must agree with JohaWeber. even 1.5 is far far away from what i may call production. Its simple fact, not whining.

- the symbols are not usable yet, at least for me. when in use with larger folder structure and multiple artboards, allways f...s off whole document in the result. when used with raster layer and curves, dead monkey everytime i copy some structure or scale something.
- constrains are the same. Never happened to make multiple artboards document that will not crash or work as intended (sublayers jumped when scaled or simply disappear,  etc)

- to be honest, i was on photoshop/illustrator since 1996, but they NEVER released so buggy version. And most (not all, yes)  bugs were repaired very fast. So in my eyes, its not about "they had 25 years to finalize all the magic" but about deep testing. on real big projects. 

- and as i allready told here, i wouldnt mind give you more money for adding new features, or new version, when it would be just working fine :)

I still hope :)

to the symbols bug - i was able to make the bug happen again and again :)

steps - with artboard tool alt-drag the first artboard UP, then with move tool double click inside and inside and inside the cookie. After you will be on the last pixel layer, try to move it via mouse.

test.afdesign

New bug found: Global colors not created in document palette unless they're pre supplied Pantone swatches. I've noticed when trying to create my document palette with specific colors...Affinity Designer (latest beta) refuses to populate the document palette unless I'm using the pre supplied Pantone color swatches to make my document palette.

I am just working on 16 artboards document - no problems. Background bitmap, rest vector - lot of formatted text. Size of each artboard - 109.56in X 82.847in. Thats 32868px x 24854px. Everything works like a dream. Adobe illustrator would die on me or I would die waiting for it to complete task on such document :P

I don't say YOU don't have problems - I am saying I don't. I am missing some options, but so far the only complain I have is crashing randomly when using pen tool.

I was on Photoshop/Illustrator really long time. Not sure since when exactly - I remember my first PS was version 4. At the beginning Photoshop was rock solid on release. Later on it was bloated with nonsense (3d, 3d printing, movie editing etc) and more buggy. I remember one time when there was a bug in writing tool - text couldn't be properly justified, numbers in the tool options were going crazy. It wasn't fixed for three months. My experience with Adobe are bit different.
Adobe updates on illustrator are laughable. There was virtually nothing new introduced for couple last updates. Some meaningless bits and pieces - and its not like it is so mature it cant be improved.

Just to be clear. I know Affinity needs some work but I cant agree with a statement that it isn't production ready simply because I am working on it for the last half year or so. It might be the case sometimes but it isnt right to say that as general statement.