brebro

Acquire Image results in weird scan

I used to be able to scan from my Brother MFC-8480DN to my iMac in Photo with no problems, but now it seems to result in an odd, disjointed scan of the object different from what was showing on the overview scan dialog (see screenshots below).

Any idea why this is happening now with this 1.5.2 version of Photo or is it just this particular scanner?

effedupscanAffinity.jpg

I did check, and found they were in need of updating for Mac OS Sierra. I updated the printer driver, scanner driver and the firmware of the multi-function machine in hopes that it would fix the problem. I was disappointed to see that the problem remained, even after updating all that.

I found I was able to use the Brother software to scan and then tell it to import it directly into Affinity Photo, and the scan seems to not have this problem by doing it that way.

I'm not sure if the Twain driver that Affinity Photo uses is shared with the one in my old Photoshop CS 5 folder, or if there is some kind of out of date twain driver in there that I need to replace manually.

I was able to get it to work in Apple's "Preview" app.

I tried it again today in the Affinity Photo app, and it seems to work now. The only thing I've done differently is upgrade from Mac OS Sierra to Mac OS High Sierra, so maybe there was something that changed there which allowed it work correctly again.

Thanks for the help.

Scan distorted (see image) in High Sierra on iMac. Closed file. Tried again, the Mac froze.

Restarted Affinity Photo and cleared user data; again first scan distorted, second attempt froze the Mac.

Epson scanner with most recent driver updates; works fine in Photoshop CS6.5a60cf6f1c6b9_ScreenShot2018-01-18at11_12_53.thumb.png.956389420d4d10ac8555de355880ca93.png

Problem does not occur in Preview.

Tried different images and settings. The problem setting is 150 dpi and 'Detect Separate Items'. Other settings work.

I think it may have something to do with the horizontal rules on the page.