You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Brush orientation in Affinity Designer

Are there any settings to make brush not rotate with the curve in Affinity Designer? A demonstration image is attached.

I made a brush with a texture image (1*1024 px). I would like the texture always stays vertical of the whole curve path. Is it possible to do that?

Thanks.

description.png

• Staff

Hi jiawei,

Welcome to the forums.

Switch to the Pixel Persona and from the Brushes panels preferences select New Image Brush. Now scroll to the bottom of the current brushes menu and double click on the new brush to open the brush options. On the Dynamics panel change the Rotation Jitter to Direction and then Close. Depending on how the original graphic has been designed, you may need to adjust the other settings to suit your requirements.

5 hours ago, Lee D said:

Hi jiawei,

Welcome to the forums.

Switch to the Pixel Persona and from the Brushes panels preferences select New Image Brush. Now scroll to the bottom of the current brushes menu and double click on the new brush to open the brush options. On the Dynamics panel change the Rotation Jitter to Direction and then Close. Depending on how the original graphic has been designed, you may need to adjust the other settings to suit your requirements.

Hi Lee, thanks a lot. I didn't even noticed Pixel Persona before.

After I set up the Pixel Persona brush. I could not find a way to apply it on a vector curve. Does it work that way? I'm not very skilled to draw nice curves by hand.

I managed to made the effect with code in Processing (attached image). But to further customise the effect, it will take a lot more time to code and my code is not so optimised to run preview in real time.

Thanks.

aurora-light.png

3 minutes ago, owenr said:

Hi, great image!

Please go to the thread below and add support to the request. I was dismayed that nobody, neither user nor Affinity staff, showed interest, but you've presented a superb example of the usefulness of the feature.

Hi Owen. I followed and liked the post, now we are on the same boat.