You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Sticky Settings .... pain in the ...

Hello, 

why there is no way of making easy default or sticky settings in Affinity Photo? Choosing the same options over and over again is so boring and time eating and unnecessary, for example crop ratio ........  each photo choosing again, or image size, bicubic .......  again and again. Sorry guys, but there is so often the comparison to Photoshop, and how professional Affinity Photo is working, but I am not satisfied with these points, and there is more of such important options, that are stealing time. Getting more gimmicks on new updates, funny things, yes, but why not fixing these important things first, that make an app work proper and fast. These settings, as the ratio and the image size rendering (just as examples that got used very often, permanently  by most users) , they don´t even stay while working on the same photo. That is really disappointing, cause this is basics for a good working app! And the app is not brandnew anymore!

hmmm, am I the only one who is not happy with this situation? If you ask me, ....  you may take 50% away from Aff Poto Options, that are more on the fun and non productional side, and make the remaining rest work like a charme. If that´s done, you may add the useless weight again, also working perfect with the rest! - I know that the useless definition is something different for everyone of us, and don´t take my words too serious.   ;)  But in the moment I am really thinkig about going back to Photoshop again, or try other options available, cause the best knife does stress your life, if you have to sharpen it before every single cut!

Hi, no you're not the only one. How do all that one can store presets personnel (macro is only partial a replacement).
But this was often desired / requested. Unfortunately still not realized, but I hope nevertheless included in the to-do list.
Greeting Dieter

Germany, Affinity Photo WIN 1.7 , LR6, WIN10

Just tried the latest beta, nothing changed here. Going to CC for a year now for my business photo works, and will check upcoming Pixelmator Pro, if that will be better for my needs. Affinity Photo will be set to sleep in the hangar now, may be in some years it will be working as it should, or may be not. Too many points that do not work as I expect from an app that claims to be professional.

I agree on this lack of stickiness. I would like the file open to read from the last folder read from, and the file export to write to the last folder exported to. And of course I would like the resize options to stick. The resize dialogue will not to remember the resize algorithm. 

Windows 10, Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Designer 1.10.5 and Publisher 1.10.5 (mainly Photo), now ex-Adobe CC

CPU: AMD A6-3670. RAM: 16 GB DDR3 @ 666MHz, Graphics: 2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 630

Well, serif has a serious issues with workflow. I've been commenting on this for more than a year. Pointing out all the lacking details and suggesting better ways. One has to re-enter values each time you call a dialog, the standard settings are complete useless, nothing is saved, irritating non-modal dialogs, even window-alignment is a nightmare not worth looking at etc.. It seems as if nooene ever worked with the product on a daily base... improvements primarily seemd to be focussed on serious bugs(!) (not mentioning the useless non-bug "by design" implementations - aka "we know it's there but we're not gonna change it") and features. Lets hope that one day marketing will swiftly move on from goal 1 (desperately gaining new customers) to goal 2 (keeping professional customers) ... but until than I'm forced to continue with PS CS6 for my daily work ... and doing the Affinity bug-searching task for serif free of charge as many others - waiting for better times to come ;)

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

Yes, that is the problem, and one may get the impression, the app is not build for daily working needs. There is often days, I have to work on some dozens of photos. Color, lighting, clarity, ...... but also cropping, and size changing. I also work with Keyboard Maestro on my mac, to improve my working speed, and on Photoshop I was able to get all things done by just some clicks with shortcuts. That is not possible with Affinity photo for most actions, where settings have to be the same as being used before. As the nonsense and often useless standard settings come back at once after each use and change. So I have to make all these settings dozens of times again and again, waste of time, and more and more this makes me angry about the app, so I do not want to use it anymore for these works. Productivity should be the first and most important point for the Affinity crew, ..... or as being said here before: The goal is not satisfying workers with this product, the goal is selling the app as much as possible, new options coming, but the old problems since the start of the app remain untouched the same. 

Or lets say it with some music, Status Quo: Again, again, again, again, .........     :-)

why not use macros for the settings you use over and over.

it is a one time recording and after that things like color and lightning are just one click.

cropping is just 2 clicks if you make a preset.

the same for size changing, just one click with a macro

intel core i5,  16GB 128Gb ssd win10 Pro Huion new 1060plus.

philips 272p 2560x1440px on intel HD2500 onboard graphics

Razer Tartarus Chroma

For some actions macros work fine, but as soon as you don´t go with a macro, you may not forget to change a setting, again .........  and again. Remembering a setting when it is done is the better and safer way, working with macros or not. And imho it should be a standard in apps, remembering the last settings. 

There are currently far to many limitations to macros to be of any help overcomming the deficient workflow. Certainly when you discover the lacking workflow acessing macros themselves (it's not possible to assign keystrokes to macros, administring the library panel, many commands can't be recorded ... etc)

CRM.png.a048d588572393102ac3cc403bfa8af7.png

i7-12700KF, 3.60 GHz, 32GB RAM, SSD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, Wacom Intuos 4 Tablet, Windows 11 Pro - AP, AD and APublisher V1 and V2
https://www.timobierbaum.com

Sticky settings hace been pointed out for a long time... Comes up in the forum in a new thread every month . I see it in the App Store feedback but still nothing....

Not sure why is this not implemented and held back in favor of a new filter or buzz word feature.

Please just release a .01 update and address this... Will make a lot of people (specially professionals trying to adopt the software) VERY happy.

------------------------

Fernando Velarde

www.velarde.com

Instagram.com/soyfervelarde

• 2 months later...

I agree on this. We were promised sticky settings for a wide variety of things in 1.6, but did not get them. Still cannot have settings for cropping, output presets, tool hardness, color swatches, etc., etc. stay/stick. 

EACH of us have prefs for many of these things based on our type of work and work flow, yet we waste time constantly having to reset things all over the place. And just trying to remember some of the settings each time is almost impossible, so we end up with varying settings each time we have to rest what is the "default". 

And so many of the defaults simply make no sense. Photo cropping is most often constrained to the original ratio and most want a darkened surround to preview the crop. Yet we cannot set that as a default! And color swatches for many, many people should have a default of colors, not greys. 

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE! Let people set their own prefs for these things by making them sticky like in most all other apps. We need to be able to set things for our workflow and be able to quit the app and still keep our most used settings. We were promised this here in this forum by Affinity and I am very disappointed that we did not get it.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

• 2 months later...

Well, here we are at v1.6.6 and into Feb 2018 -- still no sticky prefs/settings. Really a bummer. When we process 500-1,000 pics a day, really causes a lot of extra keystrokes/clicks/time/work. Love AP overall, but this seems like such a minor, minor thing to fix. And I do recall someone from Affinity promising that it was going to be fixed/added in v1.6. 

Sadly, our clients end up paying for the extra time/work. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE -- again! Please fix this for all of us who really use your great app! While it might seem like an insignificant thing, it is a HUGE thing when you do a lot of repetitive work in the app.

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Ventura
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Ventura
iPad Air 2022

seems the developer have a special ignore button for this kind of posts,  in the beginning they sometimes replied   -  patience folks,  we are working on it ,  we will  fix this soon....  - but this is long ago.  we need to face the fact, we the professional and regular user are a tiny minority.  not worth enough to be  interesting business wise.  they prefer to work on cool  features good for marketing and to impress all the pseudos and wannabes  which probably only start this software once right after purchase to find out it is to difficult for them ....... nevertheless i  hope I´m wrong ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 9/11/2017 at 5:06 PM, velarde said:

Sticky settings hace been pointed out for a long time... Comes up in the forum in a new thread every month . I see it in the App Store feedback but still nothing....

Bad news is that it's still missing in version 1.7 :(

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471