altae

[Fixed] Retouching tools useless in 32 bit, mask display flawed

The retouching tools are useless in 32 bit, all they do is painting grey areas. I've attached screenshots for all the tools (inpainting brush, healing brush, blemish removal brush, patch tool). I first tried to use the healing brush which introduced grey areas (screenshot "Healing_brush_32_bit"). I then tried to remove those grey areas using the inpainting brush (screenshot "Inpainting_brush_32_bit") which only expanded the grey areas. I then tried the blemish removal tool (screenshot "Blemish_removal_tool_32_bit") which painted a circle of grey and last but not least I tested the patch tool (screenshot "Patch_tool_32_bit") which also did nothing more than painting a big grey area.

There is also a bug concerning the display of masks in 32 bit files. The preview exposure influences the display of masks. I attached two more screenshots, one with the mask like I drew it. I then increased the 32 bit preview exposure and the grey areas of the mask became white. I really don't think that changing the preview exposure should in any way influence how the masks are displayed.

Blemish_removal_tool_32_bit.png

Healing_brush_32_bit.png

Inpainting_brush_32_bit.png

Patch_tool_32_bit.png

Mask_32_bit_1.png

Mask_32_bit_2.png

Hi altae,

I've reproduced the first issue and it looks to be caused by a combination of the EXR image you are using and also the extreme amount of exposure on the image (10!). I initially tried myself on a 32bit RAW file developed into 32bit and couldn't reproduce the issue. I then opened an EXR test image and was able to reproduce on it. I'll get this passed onto development - however would you mind attaching the EXR image you've used please?

When referring to the Mask have you used Alt and clicked on the mask to isolate it and then adjusted the Exposure? It seems like that from your screenshots and its the only way I've found I could reproduce that.

After a bit more testing I can confirm that the first issue does indeed not occur with all exr files but so far I've been able to reproduce the described behaviour with several of my exr files, not only with the one I took the screenshots from. I uploaded the corresponding exr file for you (the one from the screenshots).

The mask issue on the other hand is reproducible with each and every of my exr files. I don't need to press any keys or do anything specific. Just opening the file, adding a mask, drawing some lines on the mask and increasing or lowering the preview exposure afterwards does the trick.

20170708_Rheinfall_HDR_Merged.exr

Confirmed on the retouching tools. Same on the Mac version. I keep forgetting to post that issue. Healing tools rarely produce proper 32-bit results. Often the healed part is like 8-bit thin and rips up at the slightest exposure change. I first noticed that when cleaning up a set of IBLs. The entire scene suddenly had a bunch of other lights that weren't there before the cleanup. Now I just stamp or copy.

I have tried to use all the tools (Blemish, Healing and in painting. on a low frequency layer all to no avail.) I have followed the video tutorial to the letter and written down all the steps when adjusting a portrait image from and NEF base file. It just does not work. I have also use a quick mask that works fine but then applied the paint brush tool to no effect. But the selection brush tool does work. with intermittent results. I am using a IMac. This is all so frustrating.