You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Issue with Exporting PDFs

I am working through the Affinity Designer Workbook and am using the beta version of Designer (1.6.0, beta 7) because it's so much easier to be able to see file names, etc. on the light background.

I just completed the Lace Frame exercises and tried to export my files to PDFs as indicated on page 358 of the workbook. I was able to export the Lace Frame Poster as both a low resolution and a high resolution file. But when I tried to export the Table Card, I  got a blank document for the low resolution export except for printer marks which I hadn't asked for. For the high resolution export, I also got a blank document except for printer marks which, in this case, I had asked for. This appears to be a bug.

I tried opening my file in the non beta version of Designer to see if I would have the same issue but was unable to do so because it had been created on a later version of Designer.

Affinity Photo, V 2.3.1    Affinity Designer, V 2.2 Affinity Publisher, V 2.3.1

Mac Book Air, Sonoma, 14.2.1

Of course. I'm attaching them now. You can see that the two PDFs of the table card are very small. The PDFs of the poster were much bigger: 3.7 mg and 11.3 mgs for the high resolution PDF.

Thanks for looking at this.

Diane

Lace Frame Table Card high res.pdf

Lace Frame Table Card.pdf

Poster_and_Table_Card_Practice.afdesign

Hey Diane,

that’s because your artboard with the table cards is actually empty, witnessed by the fact that the thumbnail in the layers list is blank. Simply take the groups you designed and make them children of your artboard in the layers list, and the artboard should export nicely. See my video.

(Alternatively, you can select both groups on the canvas and move them a little away from the artboard and then back onto the artboard, but doing so might result in positioning issues. So I would suggest that you drag the groups in the layers list underneath the artboard as shown in my movie.)

Cheers, Alex :)

Empty.mov

Export.png.a237e0f4cc0387dd2068d3c259bc2dcd.png

Thanks, Alex. Moving the layer over resolved the problem. I don't think I fully understand the parent child layers relationship and how it plays out in different scenarios.

I'm curious: how did you make your video?

Diane

Hi Diane,

there are some videos regarding the parent-child-relationship among the tutorials created by the Affinity team. And I also made a short video myself some time ago. Have a look here:

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/4069-layer-clipping-vs-layer-masking/&do=findComment&comment=16825

The Affinity tutorials are on Vimeo:

https://vimeo.com/107566766 (Layer Operations)

https://vimeo.com/168186956 (Clipping Versus Masking)

Oh, and my video was made with the QuickTime Player on the Mac. If you are on a Mac, simply launch the app, select File > New Screen Recording, and you are good to go.

Cheers, Alex :)

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.