You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AP: Rasterise (threshold layer) to mask fails

I want to mask some overexposed sky behind trees in order to replace the sky from another layer. (I will hand retouch the mask when I get it.) After selecting the image, I add a threshold adjustment layer and set the threshold to differentiate the sky. The image looks like what I want my mask to be - sky white, rest black. But with the same layer selected, invoking the menu Layer..Rasterise to mask or plain Rasterise apparently does nothing - there is no change in the threshold image image. If I option-click on the adjustment layer thumbnail, the display is all white, not the thresholded image.

Threshold layer is above the pixel layer on which it is based. Moving or nesting it does not change much. Can provide screen grabs of studio if you think it will be helpful.

AP 1.7.3, MacOS 10.14.6 (usually latest of each, but not going to Catalina until more issues are resolved)

Mac Mini, Late 2012, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB; HD replaced with SSD

Thanks. I have achieved the most consistent results by using Merge Visible plus Rasterise to Mask. There still seems to be some inconsistency with how the layers behave for me; for example I found that just selecting a layer changed the displayed image appearance even though the check boxes were not touched (the change was sometimes irreversible if I remember correctly).

AP 1.7.3, MacOS 10.14.6 (usually latest of each, but not going to Catalina until more issues are resolved)

Mac Mini, Late 2012, 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 8 GB; HD replaced with SSD