You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi, I was wondering if there is any solution for my problem.
I am using Affinity Designer for creating documents for my clients, all of them are based on few templates. I have at least two artboards in each template and I export them to two filetypes - jpg and pdf.

Here is my workflow:
I am opening last saved document of some kind - e.g. document-1005, then I am editing it with new data and then I am saving it as document-1006.

Then I am exporting (ctrl alt shift s) each artboard as jpg and pdf - because filename of Affinity Designer file is kept - its all easy for me to keep filenames constant (I have in one plce files document-1005.pdf, document-1005.jpg, document-1005.afdesign).

What would be perfect for me is to use slices to export. Right now if I choose slices - I would need to change slices name everytime when exporting them.
I am looking for some simple solution like what I created in Photoshop. Simple java script - it can create subfolders (when I need) and/or save file as jpg/png/psd with prefix or suffix added to original filename.

Is it possible in any way?

Regards,
triforcesolutions

• Staff

It's currently only possible to add your own variables for Slices but these are only available to the current document. It's also not possible to add scripting, sorry.

These features have been requested before by other users and hopefully this part of the app will be improved in the future.

• 1 year later...

Agreed, When exporting, for example, the same logo with export variations, this becomes so useful.

I am working on a project for a clinet with 45 different logos. That's due to color variations and organization subdivisions. I need to give them transparent and solid files, and a few years ago I also gave them high res and low res versions of the images.

A prefix or suffix is needed to help the client differentiate between each file, especially if the image format is the same...and even if not, as the people using these files might not always know that png might have transparency and jpg definitely won't. This would be even mor eimportant for high res and low res versions.

I just noticed that when exporting slices for retina, a "@2x" suffix is added to the exported file name, so a system is already built in somewhat satisfy this kind of file differentiation. Hopefully they'll extend control over such suffixes / prefixes to users.

• 1 year later...

Just wondering if there has been any update to this suggested mod to Designer?  I'm a new user and I'm working on 14 variations (each in separate files) of a label design.  I've been exporting a PNG image as each variation was completed and have suddenly realised that I have only one exported image - Artboard1.png.  There now looks to be a tedious task ahead of me of going in and editing the Slice or Artboard name for each file and then performing the export again.  Surely, a filename parameter could be added to the available list without too much trouble?

• Staff
22 hours ago, Paul Mc said:

Just wondering if there has been any update to this suggested mod to Designer?  I'm a new user and I'm working on 14 variations (each in separate files) of a label design.  I've been exporting a PNG image as each variation was completed and have suddenly realised that I have only one exported image - Artboard1.png.  There now looks to be a tedious task ahead of me of going in and editing the Slice or Artboard name for each file and then performing the export again.  Surely, a filename parameter could be added to the available list without too much trouble?

Welcome to the forum Paul Mc :)

Have you tried using the User Variables to add your specific filename?

On 5/1/2020 at 9:19 AM, Leigh said:

Welcome to the forum Paul Mc :)

Have you tried using the User Variables to add your specific filename?

Hi Leigh, I've now had chance to take at look at this again.  Unfortunately, I can seem to figure out how it all works.  Also, I can't see any documentation or help information for it.  Are you able to point me to any, please?  The UI seems very unintuitive. i.e. I couldn't figure out how to use it with just experimentation.

That aside, if my guess as to how this is intended to work is correct then this would be more work that simply editing the individual slice export details after each version save.

What I need is the ability to incorporate the name of the file that the design is saved under into the slide export parameters.  Then each version save would automatically update the slice export names used.  This way if I ever find an exported artboard or graphic in a project folder I can easily find the design file from where it originated.  Currently I'm having to create separate folders for each version/iteration which makes it harder to get an overview in the OS when viewing the project files, and also collating options for clients means more drilling down through folder hierarchies.

Thanks @Leigh

That's how I managed to get it to work but I couldn't quite see the point of doing this as (in my case) it's quicker to type the literal filename into the Path Components edit box.

Maybe I should explain my workflow so you can see what I'm trying to do.

I'm working on a package label design at the moment.  The client has asked for three versions and four instances of each version with different colourways and/or typefaces before moving to a single choice for production.  This means that if I only create the minimum required (and I rarely do as there will be more intermediate designs which will be narrowed down before showing the client), I will need to create 12 images, or a multiple of 12 if different resolutions or sizes are required.  BTW, the Export option is great for configuring the multiple versions once and then letting it do its stuff when each design iteration is completed.

Most designs in a group like this are derivatives of previous designs.  I usually use a number followed by an alpha for the end of the filename when the design is saved. So design1a would be the first saved filename and then the next design would be saved under the name design2a etc. A colour or type variation on design1a might be saved under design1b, for example.  All these files would normally be saved in the same folder or directory.

When it comes to exporting the previews then things become a little tedious and the chance for mistakes increases.  If I create an initial design idea as design1a and then a derivative called design1b then the exports (by default) would use the same filenames and the latter export would overwrite any previous ones.  If I forget to edit the filename element of the export I could inadvertently overwrite a previous export.  Having to edit the export each time (IMHO) is something that could be avoided if the filename of the project file was made available in the Path Components section of the export setup. This way when you do a Save as... with a new filename any new exported slices could inherit the filename change without the need to edit the setup and generate a new export filename and avoid overwriting files exported in any other iteration.  This could be configured in the first design file and then any subsequent iterations would simply follow this model.

In addition, this would also show the heritage of any export and allow to go directly to the correct design file for any chosen image file.

As it currently stands I'm having to create a subfolder for each version and then further subfolders for each iteration as a means of avoiding the need to edit the export setting each time.  This is not ideal as the final images are spread out through the folder structure and not visible in a single location.

Sorry for the essay.  

• Staff

Thanks for replying. I agree, variables that can pick information from within the document would be useful.

Not sure if you're already aware but you could speed things up if you use Path Components to recreate an existing folder structure or a new one when exporting. I have a folder on my desktop called Client and sub folder called Project. The exported slice will be called design1a. When I then export this slice, I select Desktop when prompted and click export -  the app will then save design1a into Client/Project/ - Alternatively, you could just create a new folder structure on export.

Paths.png

Hope that helps!

Hi Leigh, thanks for your reply.  I've been experimenting with it and what you've suggested above is probably about as good as it will get for my particular case.  Do you have a Suggestions Box?  I think this would be a good candidate for a future enhancement idea.

• 3 years later...
3 hours ago, ThatAdamGuy said:

How in the world has it been 6 years and this feature still isn't implemented?????? It's standardized like everywhere else.

I don't understand your outrage. It has been there for a long time!

image.png.f2df47536b16ab748c7fb2fb7101df0d.png

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

• 2 months later...

Nope I don't think so. 

The OP asked for the ability to export the slice with the filename based on the document's file name. Currently without this ability you still have to type in the name manually somewhat. Imagine having to slice 2000 files manually (yes I'm actually doing this as we speak), typing in names for every slice is not fun task at all. 

At least there should be a variable that contain the document name/filename there so it can be used right away. Having to type everything in or risking having lost of a few file because they are from "slice1" is actually frustrating.

Well I'm complaining about the Affinity Photo, not Designer, but it should be available in all application in the suite, don't you think?