You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

designer: cutting up an existing shape

Hi,

I'm a beginner to graphic design etc so please bear with me whilst I wrangle the terminology.

I'm starting with an existing vector shape: https://www.123rf.com/photo_58944851_male-human-body-with-head-turned-to-side-flat-icon-for-apps-and-websites.html

I want to be able to cut it up to have different limbs and body sections on each layer. 

I.e. Face, Head, Neck, Upper Arms, Lower Arms, Chest, Abdomen, Pelvis, 

Some quite small and internal (E.g. Spine will be a strip in the middle)

I don't know how to slice it with seamless boundaries....

Any pointers appreciated. 

Thanks

Rob

(Ultimately export to SVG then do hover and click effects on each limb) 

Assuming the vector shape is just a single filled path, a silhouette with no internal details, I would probably do this one part at a time by breaking the path at two nodes where that part should be separated from the rest of the shape. That will put the part on its own layer, which I would probably name to make keeping track of everything easier. Next, close the remaining composite shape & delete the node handles as needed to create a straight path segment where it abuts the part just made. Do the same for that part, & continue until each part is on its own layer.

To eliminate any seams at the boundaries, add a stroke to the initial silhouette vector -- ½ pixel should be enough for that & it should not enlarge the shapes enough to matter.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Thank you both, especially OwenR - that is really great, thank you very much.  What a legend!

With your help i completed my edits in less time than I spent hacking on my own yesterday.  

I'm very grateful for your help.

Thanks again

Rob